"We didn't— lose?"

"Oh yes we did." Miranda replied bluntly. Everyone seemed to give her a nasty look, but she didn't express any emotion. Times like these made me wonder why she wasn't in Slytherin.

"Diggory got the Snitch," said George. "Just after you fell. He didn't realize what had happened. When he looked back and saw you on the ground, he tried to call it off. Wanted a rematch. But they won fair and square...even Wood admits it."

"Where is Wood?" Harry looked around.

"Still in the showers," said Fred. "We think he's trying to drown himself."

"Let's hope he succeeds, otherwise he'll never let this go. We'll have practice every day for weeks." Miranda added. We all gaped at her.

"Seriously, how is she not in Slytherin?" I asked no one in particular.

Meanwhile, Harry was mourning the loss of the match. His face was in his knees and he ran his hands through his hair. Fred grabbed his shoulder and shook it roughly.

"C'mon, Harry, you've never missed the Snitch before."

"There had to be a time you didn't get it," said George.

"It's not over yet," said Fred. "We lost by a hundred points, right? So if Hufflepuff loses to Ravenclaw and we beat Ravenclaw and Slytherin..."

"Hufflepuff'll have to lose by at least two hundred points," George added.

"But if they beat Ravenclaw..."

"No way, Ravenclaw is too good. But if Slytherin loses against Hufflepuff..."

"We're not winning the Cup." Miranda said matter-of-factly. "We can't come back from this."

"Miranda!" I objected. "You're really not helping here!"

"I'm giving the best advice I can!" she snapped at me. "What am I supposed to do, reassure Harry that it wasn't his fault?"

"Yes!" Everyone chorused.

"Not gonna happen! If it was up to me, we wouldn't have lost! This is what happens when you put your trust in a third-year!" she stormed out of the hospital wing.

"Seriously, how is she in Gryffindor?" I said. No one responded. "Achievement-oriented? Prideful? Ambitious? Does that sound like anyone you know?"

A few moments later, Madam Pomfrey came to usher us out.

"He needs his rest!" she stated and pointed to the door.

"We'll come and see you later," Fred told Harry. "Don't beat yourself up, Harry, you're still the best Seeker we've ever had." The team trooped out, trailing mud behind them. I moved to sit down in a chair beside Harry's bed, but Madam Pomfrey was giving me a look.

"I said it was time to go!" she seemed frustrated.

"Ron and Hermione are staying!" I protested.

"They're his friends, I trust them to be here for a little while." Pomfrey pointed to the door again. Ron and Hermione gave me pitiful looks.

"I'm his friend too." I grumbled before I took off. I hurried back to the common room, feeling incredibly agitated.

***

"If Snape's teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts again, I'm skiving off," said Ron as we headed to Lupin's classroom after lunch. "Check who's in there, Hermione." Hermione peered around the classroom door.

"It's okay!" she said, and I felt my mood lighten. I had missed Lupin and his lessons immensely.

We walked in the classroom and I glanced at Professor Lupin. He certainly looked like he had been ill. His robes looked like they were too big, and there were dark circles under his eyes. But, just as usual, he gave the class a warm smile as we sat down, and everyone immediately burst into complaints about Snape's essay.

"We don't know anything about werewolves—"

"— two rolls of parchment!"

"Did you tell Professor Snape we haven't covered them yet?" Lupin asked, frowning slightly.

"Yes, but he said we were really behind—"

"— he wouldn't listen—"

"— two rolls of parchment!"

"Don't worry. I'll speak to Professor Snape. You don't have to do the essay."

I was happy Lupin had dismissed the essay, seeing as I didn't write it. But Hermione, on the other hand, looked very disappointed.

"Oh no," she said. "I've already finished it!"