Chapter 26: Live in Fear

Start from the beginning

“What kind of meat is this?” Tilly asked Daryl as she held up a fork-full of something pink and grainy.

“People meat,” he answered seriously, shoving a bite of it into his mouth.

“Smartass.” She rolled her eyes and shoved the substance off her fork and back onto her plate.

Daryl chuckled and nudged her with his shoulder. “It’s Spam,” he answered. “You never had it? If Merle hadn’t taught me how to hunt that’s probably all the protein we’d have had growing up.”

“I try to avoid salty meat from a can,” she replied. “But I guess I can’t be too picky nowadays.” She begrudgingly stabbed the Spam with her fork again and took a bite, her nose turning up slightly as she chewed.

“Ya look like ya just smelled a fart,” he laughed.

“That’s exactly what this tastes like.” She quickly shoveled a scoop of peas into her mouth to chase away the taste.

“Don’t worry,” he said assuredly, “I’ll go out and find us some real meat soon as I can get outta here.”

She smiled at that. The idea of fresh game was much more appealing than the farce that sat on her plate.

“In the meantime,” he continued, “you should go ahead and choke that down. After that long without food you need the protein.”

“Protein, protein, protein,” she mocked in a faux-deep voice. “Always with the protein. I’ll stick to vegetables til you bring us in something that’s not just ground up hooves and pig assholes.”

They continued their banter for a few more minutes, both with each other and the people that sat around them. Tilly was glad to have some time to talk with Tara. She reminded her a little of Lana, and the fact that those two had been friends as well was comforting.

Eventually Aaron went to stand at the head of the table, a clipboard in his hands, to give them their assignments.

Tilly was put on the building crew along with Abraham and Tyreese. She was glad to be given a job where she could help physically fortify the community, and Aaron informed her she that if any electrical problems arose she would be pulled from her duty working on the walls to take care of them.

Daryl was made the head of the crew that would be going out to hunt. They had several willing hunters within the safe zone, but none of them possessed his set of skills. He’d initially insisted on going out alone, but even Rick agreed that wasn’t a good idea.

Rick was added to their small, make-shift police force, and after some begging Carl was allowed to tag along with his father and train to become an officer as well.

The others were given assignments ranging from working in the garden to watch duty.

“Glenn,” Aaron began, “with one of our runners out of commission I’d like you to accompany Heath on supply missions. I know it’s one of the most dangerous jobs, so if you’re uncomfortable with that I can find other work for you.”