"Find Xiao Xan." He ordered. He'd decided to have Xiao Dao come along in case there were any complications. The bird was common, so no one would think it strange for it to be in the royal gardens.

The guards were very good at their jobs but no one paid attention to common birds.

[Chirp!]

Xiao Dao chirped, opening its wings to fly away. As it ascended, dozens of other birds burst from the nearby treetops, following after their boss. The sight was something to behold, the flock blanketing the night sky in a cascade of colors.

Despite the beauty of the scene, Qin Rong could only look on with a bitter smile.

"Ack, did he have to bring his whole gang?" He grumbled, looking away as he returned to the party. "What happened to laying low?"

Still, if there was anyone he trusted to find someone, it was Xiao Dao. Even with barriers against all kinds of magic, his completely mundane pigeon was more effective against all kinds of defenses.

(AN: Xiao Dao might be a Warbler or a Cardinal. I can't decide.)

A cool wind blew past him, sending shivers through his body. To keep from freezing as he waited for his Sodalis' report, he decided to huddle near the curtains framing the doorway. Immediately, he felt warmed by the thick fabrics that hid him from sight.

"Is it done?"

Qin Rong frowned, not realizing there was anyone nearby. From the hushed tones, they were either gossiping or making plans.

"Yes, I slipped it into his drink just a while ago. It should be taking effect soon."

Nope, it was the latter. Qin Rong sighed, feeling mildly disappointed. Gossip was so much more interesting than political intrigue. He could actually enjoy gossip and sell that to any number of information brokers.

After all, a rumor was only a rumor until it was spread among the populace. After that, it was just another fact.

"I can't believe it was that easy though." The first voice mused. "I heard that His Majesty was cautious. The Prince of Shades surely wouldn't be so easy to drug."

Eh? The Prince of Shades was here!?

Thinking of that guy who kissed him and made him fail his mission, Qin Rong had a hard time coming to terms with how he felt.

On one hand, he humiliated him and tarnished his reputation by making him fail his mission.

On the other hand, the kiss they'd shared had made him feel more aroused than he recalled feeling. Even now, he felt a spark of heat bubble within him.

Don't get hard, don't get hard, Damn it! He mentally chanted, hating himself. I'm not gay!

As his body and mind went to war, a few words drifted by.

"-nce Xander had to know what would occur if he rejected Lady Hegnan. Of course, she wouldn't just let the matter go."

All arousal faded as heard the name of his friend.

"But to go this far? Drugging a noble is one thing but to try and entice a scandal in this way is a bit-"

"Lady Hegnan is determined to get that guy. She isn't ugly and her family is wealthy so it's no great loss to fall into bed with her, right?"

The second voice chuckled. "That's true. He's so lucky!"

Lucky!? Xander was about to be raped and these guys were saying he was lucky? Why? Because the woman is mildly attractive? If not for his aim to lay low, Qin Rong would have decked the two off them.