When they exchanged glances, their eyes conveyed that nothing needed to be expressed. Touma felt as if she were speaking. When they did talk, it was with the simple confidence that had grown between them over the last three years. She would gaze at him as always, listening with a look that held tenderness without mockery and sadness without mercy.

From his perspective, Yashiro should have been in misery, and three years ago, he had assumed she would be expelled from Oso Academy. Instead, she was entering university in a few months. He enjoyed watching her rest; he wanted to teach her to laze around like an unworthy millionaire.

Sometimes he caught her in Oso Academy's library doing schoolwork minutes before class started or studying for an exam. Touma knew she had obtained a special permit for part-time work and tried to balance study and work. He never told anyone that she jumped over the school's back wall to arrive early. He enjoyed watching her run, her figure cutting through the sea of calm faces.

"It's natural to fear the unknown and hate what we cannot control," Touma paused, narrowing his eyes and gazing up at the ceiling. "Silence often reveals human virtues and vices. It has also made me more fascinated by the minds rather than the bodies in which they are imprisoned."

A brief silence followed, accentuated by the pulsating rhythms of the music.

"You've changed," she leaned back with a smile, her fingers idly tapping on the crystal glass she held. "Did you know that picking up someone's mannerisms is sometimes akin to falling in love?"

"That's certainly possible."

The play of light and shadow accentuated the contours of her features as she continued. "What is that person to you?"

"A cilice," Touma responded with a measured tone, his eyes meeting hers.

As Touma observed the rhythmic dance of lights in the dim-lit nightclub, his gaze was momentarily drawn to a distant figure. A man rose from one of the barstools, his silhouette weaving through the pulsating crowd, a lingering trace of alcohol in his wake. Excusing himself from her, citing the need to check on a friend, Touma discreetly trailed the solitary figure through the shifting sea of people.

Beyond the immediate reach of the nightclub's ambiance, Touma pursued the man through the exit, his steps purposeful and resolute. The city lights spilled onto the street, casting elongated shadows that danced with the night. Touma's curiosity about this lone figure intensified as he moved further away from the lively throb of the club.

The distant cityscape provided an ethereal backdrop to Touma's pursuit, the contrast between the vibrant nightlife and the solitary figure becoming more pronounced. The man continued his solitary journey, occasionally illuminated by the soft glow of street lamps or the flickering neon signs of nearby establishments.

Touma quickened his pace, the echo of their footsteps merging with the city's nocturnal symphony. As he closed the distance, subtle details about the man became clearer—the gentle sway in his steps, the occasional glance over his shoulder, and the contemplative air that surrounded him.

Approaching a more secluded area, Touma finally caught up with the solitary figure. The man turned, acknowledging Touma's presence with a mix of surprise and guarded curiosity. The distant sounds of the nightclub faded, replaced by the distant hum of the city.

"Shimizu-san, I noticed you at the bar tonight," Touma smiled, extending a bottle of alcohol. "It was quite an unexpected sight. You should've given me a heads-up; we could have shared a drink."

"It's not really my scene," Shimizu Jiro replied, deflecting the friendly invitation. "Himari is going to be mad at me."

"Your wife doesn't know you're here? Well, that's all right. Any man needs a certain level of alienation from this crazy world to remain sane. You went to Altoromagi's funeral, too. I didn't know you two were close. I'm so sorry."