Secretly In Love

Koi turned around in his bed. He tried to sleep but couldn't, the beautiful teal and black dragonet wouldn't stop popping up in his head.

She was perfect in every way; her kind attitude towards the other hybrids, the way she laughed and talked, and the way she was willing to give everything she had to help her friends... Oh, and her looks... She was breathtakingly beautiful; a perfect NightWing snout with a sweet curve to it, teal fins, a slim, graceful body, wings with teal-blue stars that looked like somebody took all the stars in the sky, dipped them in paint and put them all separately, carefully picking where each and every one of them would go...

He sighed. Why couldn't he just confess? Why would his heart race every time he thought about her? Why did everything around him become blurry and get muffled the second he laid eyes on her?

Koi shook his head. You are going to tell her tomorrow, he thought to himself. Or she'll never know you see her more than as a friend.

He turned and turned, trying to sleep. He didn't know how long it took but he was finally asleep. And it was no surprise he had seen Tealsong standing in front of him in his dream...

Koi woke up the next morning, and to his surprise (and horror), Tealsong wasn't in her bed. He ran around frantically, trying to find her. But when he looked, nobody was in the bunkers. He looked outside and saw it was almost noon.

Oh, they must be down at the cafeteria, he thought, rubbing his head. He'd slept later than he thought.

He walked out the door and immediately saw her; Tealsong was running up the stairs. She smiled as she saw him too, Kio couldn't help but smile back.

"Oh good, you're awake!" Tealsong said. "I didn't want to wake you up, you were sleeping too peacefully. Now come on you big lizard, we're going to miss breakfast." She led him down to the cafeteria.

It was the usual, chickens. But they tasted better with Tealsong next to him. They chatted a little and then it was time to go out. Tealsong was probably just going to sit there and stare at the dragonets, so he didn't bother her. He had something else to do.

The custodians would be out this time of day, or only one would be there. They would take turns staying, not that any of them wanted to stay in the first place.

He sneaked into the custodian's room, looking for something. A few rugs were lying around, doing nothing. They were almost dusty. And there were the things he was looking for. Two cushions, one blue and one a light pink, lying on the ground. He'd never seen the custodians even use them, so he figured it wouldn't be a problem if he borrowed them for a few days.

Might as well take a rug too, he thought. He picked the smallest one he could find and went to the back of the stone building. It was going to be hard to carry this much stuff up to the roof, given his size. But he was going to do it, no matter what.

He carried all the items up one by one. Then he moved to step two; arranging. He laid out the rug, coughing. It was dusty. A whole lot. He shook it a few times to get the dust out. He laid it out once more, it wasn't that bad anymore. He placed the cushions and stepped back.

It looked simple, but the view was beautiful, he'd pick this place just for the view. They could see all of Sanctuary from there. And the forest was next to them, he could hear the chatter of the creatures in it now.

But will she like it? he thought. Maybe she'll think it's too plain. Should I add more things? He sighed. Maybe she'll just hate me if I tell her. He plopped down to the cushions. Maybe she just sees me as a friend, how will she react if she finds out? He watched the view for a while, trying to figure out what to do.

He sat there until sunset and went down. He found Tealsong in the courtyard, looking around. She met his eyes and looked relieved for a second.

Until she looked mad.

"Where were you?!" she hissed quietly. "I was worried sick!"

Koi grinned. "Aw, you were worried about me? You big sap."

"Shut up," Tealsong said smacking him with her tail. They walked to the bunker room.

Koi couldn't take his eyes off of her. Her long and elegant tail slithered behind her. Sometimes he would sit and look at her while she watched the dragonets. She never seemed to notice. Thought this time was different.

"What are you staring at?" Tealsong asked, making him jump slightly.

"Uh, n-nothing?" he stammered, blushing a little. "Just, um..." To his surprise, Tealsong started to giggle.

"Okay you stupid lizard, let's just eat dinner without you disappearing again."

Dinner wasn't anything different than the other days. Either pigs or small lizards. By the time Tealsong even sat, it was long after dinner. She sighed as she laid down.

"Good night Koi..." she said, yawning.

"Good night," Koi replied, but he wasn't sure she even heard him. He sighed as well.

Tomorrow, he thought determinedly as he drifted to sleep, I'll tell her everything.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Plot twist: he dIDN'T-

Anyway, this is right before the first chapter of Freedom, so, yesh-

bai-

~Glory