Chapter 33- onwards

Start from the beginning

The mark was still there.

---

My sleep, though comfortable, didn't offer me any energy. I didn't feel as bad as I had before, and my wounds had become scars over night, but the marks hold over me was still there. I was the first awake, except for Beorn who I could hear moving around in the kitchen. I managed to slip out of thorin's firm hold without waking him before making my way towards Beorn's scent. I found him setting out the table.

"Your friends look hungry." He explained simply, not even looking over at me. I moved forwards, taking a few bowls from him and helping set up.

"Thank you, my friend." I murmured, my head aching slightly. Beorn looked up, a small smile reaching his weathered face.

"You look better!"

"I feel better." I laughed, though my body gave a small shudder, betraying confidence. Thankfully, Beorn didn't notice.

"You explained it to him then? I heard him in there with you last night, so I left you be." Beorn told me, making me nod appreciatively. I could only imagine how awkward that would have been if he'd burst in at the wrong time. I was confused though, if Thorin had accepted me, why was the mark still there? I gasped, holding onto the table as my shoulder spiked with pain. Beorn tensed, looking up at me slowly.

"It's still there?" It was more of a statement then a question, but still I nodded. He moved forward, pulled down my shirt to reveal the mark. I grimaced, pulling my shirt back to cover my shoulder when he withdrew. His face was grim and somber. Just by the look on his face, I knew this wasn't good.

"Why is it still there?" I asked, wincing as I lowered myself down on a chair. Beorn joined me, sitting in the chair across from me. He was frowning, his arms leaning on the table.

"I--I'm not entirely sure. There hasn't been many occurrences like yours...it looks like the process has slowed down, but..." He stopped, looking over at the dwarves as someone yawned loudly.

"But it's still killing me?" I sighed, putting my head in my hands. I'd hoped, stupidly, that Thorin accepting this would cure it but...apparently not.

"Shit..." I breathed, taking a deep breath and straightening up.

"How long do you think I've got?" I asked, looking over at Beorn. He moved forward and looked at the mark once more.

"I'd give you a year a year at most." He told me, looking at me with pity.

"Okay, that gives me 12 months to work this out." I concluded, biting my lip anxiously. I had time, I could do this.

"Come, your companions are waking up." Beorn told me, standing and finishing setting the table. By the time the dwarves began filtering in, bread, milk and other things sat at the centre of the table. I chuckled as the dwarves spotted the feast, their eyes gleaming hungrily. It wasn't long before they sat around the table, tucking into the feast. I sat at one end of the table, Beorn at the other. I had a simple plate of bread and cheese a lot with a glass of milk. It was simple, but fulfilling. Thorin was the last to enter, looking over at me as he entered. He took a seat beside Dwalin, accepting a plate of bread and cheese.

There was a tense silence as Beorn studied my mate, clenching his jaw. I narrowed my eyes at him, ready to intervene if he acted out.

" So you are the one they call Oakenshield. Tell me, why is Azog the Defiler hunting you?"

"You know of Azog? How?" Thorin snapped, making me raise an eyebrow. Why was he acting so harshly. Beorn chuckled, looking over at me.

"He's strong willed, your wolf chose well." I stayed quiet, a small smile on my face at his approval. I felt eyes on me as the dwarves looked over at me.

"Our people were the first to live in the mountains, before the Orcs came down from the north. The Defiler killed most of the tribe, but some he enslaved. Not for work, you understand, but for sport. Caging skin-changers and torturing them seemed to amuse him." Beorn answered Thorin after taking a bite of his bread. I grimace, looking down. My appetite was suddenly gone, as I pushed my plate away.

" Are there are others like you?" Bofur asked, looking over at me.

"Once there were many." I whispered, frowning softly at the painful memory.

" And now?" Bilbo asked, slipping in seemingly out of nowhere.

" Now there's only two. I have Luka to thank for that, I owe her my life-"

"You don't owe me anything." I cut in softly, rolling my eyes at him. He ignored me, carrying on.

"She freed us from our cages, lead us to freedom-"

"I lead them to their deaths!" I growled, slamming my fist down on the table. I was breathing heavily and my body ached to shift as my frustration rose higher.

"Better to die fighting then just waiting for the end, chalvaka'sven." Beorn growled back making me sigh. I hated that stupid name he'd given me.

"What does that mean?" Bilbo asked.

"Chain breaker." Beorn translated, looking over at Bilbo who shrank under his fierce gaze.

" We need to reach the mountain before the last days of autumn." I snapped, hoping to change the subject.

" indeed, Before Durin's Day falls." Gandalf pipped up, stopping in the doorway.

"You are running out of time." Beorn growled.

" Which is why we must go through Mirkwood." Gandalf explained, leaning on his staff.

"A darkness lies upon that forest, fell things creep beneath those trees. There is an alliance between the Orcs of Moria and The Necromancer in Dol Guldur. I would not venture there, except in great need." Beorn said, looking over at me. We'd not had the best time the last time we'd traveled through that place.

" We will take the Elven Road, their path is still safe." Gandalf tried to justify making me groan.

" Safe? The Wood Elves of Mirkwood are not like their kin. They're less wise and more dangerous. But it matters not." Beorn retorted making me growl softly. He wasn't going to help us?

" What do you mean?" Thorin snapped, narrowing his eyes.

"These lands are crawling with Orcs, their numbers are growing and you are on foot. You will never reach the forest alive. I don't like dwarves, they're greedy and blind, blind to the lives of those they deem lesser than their own." I snarled at Beorn, standing up as he did. My wolf was more in control now, she didn't appreciate the disrespect. The company froze as Beorn mat my glare, looking me in the eyes. I growled louder, looking into an alphas eyes was a challenge. Suddenly, he looked away, exposing his neck in submission. I watched him for a few seconds before sitting back down.

" But Orcs I hate more. " he sighed, looking over at Thorin who nodded at him appetitively.

"What do you need?" He asked, looking over at me.

"Horses."

---

Okay, very short and shitty but that seems to be how I roll lately. I'm infinitely sorry for taking so long, I'm a terrible person who struggles with completing things but I will do this! GCSEs are going on, so I've been trying to beat the system XD but let's be honest, that's just another excuse. I shouldn't have waited so long, I'm a horrible person. :/ anyway, low quality, but it's a step in the right direction. I think I'll get all the work down before going through this book and refining it.

Sorry again, stay safe and have a good one :3

~Anna