Chapter Thirteen: Detention

"That's not what I plan to do Blaise!" Pansy spit out in a shrill voice.

The three of them turned to her completely surprised. None of them had really seen her get so upset before. She got up quickly, and left the hall, trying not to draw much attention to herself.

"It was a joke Pans!" Blaise called out to her, but she was gone.

Blaise turned to Daphne and Draco, "I didn't know that would upset her so much," he said genuinely.

"She's self conscious of her ranking," Daphne answered quietly. "We are all fighting over first place, mad that we ranked in the top ten, when she ranked in the bottom fifty percent of the class. She has actually been taking our incessant complaining very well."

Blaise got up and went after her. "Don't you think space would b-" Daphne called

"She is my best friend Daph," Blaise said, and then went after her.

Draco went down to the entrance hall at 10:45pm, and waited for Filch. He showed up around 10:50, and finally Harry, Hermione, and Neville came slumping down the stairs right at 11:00pm.

"'Follow me,'" said Filch gleefully. He lit his lamp, and then took them outside.

"'I bet you'll think twice about breaking a school rule again, won't you, eh?'" Said Filch. "'Oh yes . . . hard work and pain are the best teachers if you ask me. . . . It's just a pity they let the old punishments die out . . . hang you by your wrists from the ceiling for a few days, I've got the chains still in my office, keep 'em well oiled in case they're ever needed. . . . Right, off we go, and don't think of running off, now, it'll be worse for you if you do.'"

Draco rolled his eyes as the four of them marched down the grounds to Hagrid's hut. Neville sobbed pitifully. The idea of Neville crying over something as trivial as detention, made Draco want to slug him in the face, but instead he clenched his fists and focused on the cool night air.

"'Is that you, Filch? Hurry up, I want ter get started.'" Hagrid called, as they made their way to his hut.

Now Draco was even more pissed, having to spend time with Hagrid, the school's servant or whatever he was supposed to be. However, Harry must have been pleased to see him, as Filch turned to him and muttered with a big grin, "'I suppose you think you'll be enjoying yourself with that oaf? Well, think again, boy — it's into the forest you're going and I'm much mistaken if you'll all come out in one piece.'"

Draco stopped walking and stared into Filch's eyes for any sign that this was some cruel joke. When he found none, he was in complete disbelief. "'The forest?'" He asked, overwhelmed with fear. "'We can't go in there at night — there's all sorts of things in there — werewolves, I heard.'"

"'That's your problem, isn't it?'" Filch practically sang."'Should've thought of them werewolves before you got in trouble, shouldn't you?'"

"'Abou' time,'" said Hagrid, as he made his way over to them with a large crossbow and his dog, Fang, by his side. "'I bin waitin' fer half an hour already. All right, Harry, Hermione?'"

"'I shouldn't be too friendly to them, Hagrid,'" Filch answered, "'they're here to be punished, after all.'"

Draco could hear them talking in the background, but he couldn't make out what they were saying. He was too focused on the looming forest standing before him like a barrier of darkness. Draco was never fond of the dark. The fear started when he was very young and Lucius locked him out of the house one night for disobeying him. Draco had spent the night banging on the door until his fists were bruised and bleeding. He did not sleep for a single moment that night. In the dark, the small garden animals may have well been terrifying beasts ready to pounce, the shrubbery was basically twine and rope, ready to ensnare Draco in a trap.