Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

"I'd argue that it's actually inconvenient," I said. I noticed that the Order member who sat beside my mother groaned, he covered his mouth and leaned to the side. "and is there anything else we need to know about this new villain?" Kepler questioned. The four of us glanced at each other. "I would..." Jack trailed. "Answer the question," Kepler insisted. 

"I mean..." Hamish said, shrugging. 

"Uh she's..." I said and scratched the back of my neck, "Also a werewolf...." My mother covered her face with her hands. "Oh man," the male disciple said, "This is so sad. The wolves are just trying to do their jobs, and we're treating them like they're the bad guys." My mother looked at him with raised eyebrows. "Thank you, Philosophies," Kepler said, "Please wait until we ask for your testimony." 

"I mean, come on!" Philosophies exclaimed, "What did they do to deserve this kind of treatment?" 

"That will be all, Mr. Brown," mother said. 

"You're wrong to treat them like this," the boy said. "Get ahold of yourself," Kepler countered, getting angrier by the second. The boy with the black shirt stood up from his chair and chuckled. "There's so much anger in the world," he put a hand on Jack's shoulder, "Things would be so much better if we just took a moment to appreciate one another." He took a step forward and put his hands out towards Kepler. "What is wrong with you?" Kepler asked, pushing him back. He fell back and the three boys caught him before he fell. Blood fell from 'Mr. Browns' mouth as he collapsed to the ground. "Notas Argenteas!" my mother yelled. The doors on either side of us locked, making a low clicking sound. 

~~~~

The four of us sat in my mother's office, trying to find an incantation. I flipped through a book and yawned. "God," I said, "How many murder incantations does one secret society need?" I set the book down on the table and stood up to grab another book. Hamish exhaled deeply and shook his head. "Apparently, all of them," Ham-dog said. Jack paced back and forth, then stopped to look at us. 

"You guys do realize that technically we're walking murder spells?" Jack said while walking to the desk. "Wow," Randall said, "way to take all the fun out of being a werewolf." I laughed and shook my head, flipping a page. "Hey, I think I got something," Hamish said, "On the dangers of a ricocheting incantation." I handed Randall the book I was looking through, I was handed the book Hamish found the spell. "but the magic half-life rule still applies," I said, "So whatever killed Foley wouldn't have killed Robert." There was another long pause between the Knights and I. I saw Hamish glance at the small globe that sat on its stand. "It's only going to glow once the vote is unanimous," I said, setting a hand on his shoulder. 

"I know," he replied and looked up at me with a slight smile. "Guys, wait," Randall said, "I think I found something, look." He turned the book around which revealed him flipping us off (GIF Above). I laughed at Randall and gave him a fist bumped. "Randall, this is serious," Hamish said, "People are dying." 

"Correction, people who are trying to kill us are dying," I said, putting a book into the shelf. "Which is why we have to figure out what's happening before anyone else is affected," Jack said. "Yeah," Randall sighed, "Or infected." Randall sat down in one of the chairs, then thought of something. "Wait," he said, "What if we're looking at this wrong? Maybe it's not a murder incantation." 

"Randall might be onto something," I said, "What if it's an enchanted virus?" 

"So what are we talking about here?" Hamish questioned, "Magic Ebola?" Hamish looked at us trying to find an answer to his question. "Yes!" Randall cheered, "Alexander Hame-ilton for the win!" I laughed at Randall and gave him a high five. "Please stop," Hamish said.