Rong Ting couldn’t pay attention to other things while eating strawberries, and for a while, he didn’t notice that Song Yuan was a bit out of it.

“Mother Empress, one should not be greedy.” Song Yuan had been thinking while eating strawberries, and she’d eaten quite a lot without knowing it. Still, Rong Ting took it upon himself to remind her.

Although Rong Ting was still young, his self-discipline and self-control were incomparable to those of many adults.

“It is winter now. Eating too many cold foods is bad for the stomach,” Rong Ting said solemnly. “One should not be greedy. It’s all the same to eat them tomorrow.”

Song Yuan was amused. “You’re right, but we can’t finish eating this many. Why don’t we give some to the neighbors tomorrow?”

Their neighbor was a mother-to-be who was six or seven months pregnant. She liked Rong Ting very much and often brought over food.

It was just that once, this mother-to-be had asked Rong Ting whether the child in her belly was a younger brother or sister. Rong Ting had clearly felt awkward.

Many people believed that children could see the gender of the baby in a pregnant woman’s belly. The younger the child, the more accurate the prediction.

At that time, Rong Ting said with a wooden face, gu is not a prophet.

Fortunately, he was still young and handsome; no matter what he said, adults would find him very meng and very cute. Song Yuan had corrected him and told him not to refer to himself as “gu” with others, but this young lad was stubborn. He was willing to change a lot of habits–he was willing to talk to others and get along well with them, and occasionally he was willing to play soccer with the other children in the community–but he was insistent on this point and refused to change anything.

Rong Ting was not stingy and generously nodded his head.

“Gugu, we’re going to B City soon, and I don’t think we’ll be back for another half a year. I was thinking, before we leave, why don’t we invite the neighbor auntie and your buddies over for a meal?”

Rong Ting had never felt that the young boys playing soccer with him were his buddies.

Clearly they were just playing soccer together. After playing, they each returned to their own homes to their own mothers. What friends?

He didn’t think he could be friends with them, either. It was just that his mother was very happy to see him play with his peers, so he reluctantly played soccer.

“Anything is fine.” Rong Ting said.

Song Yuan said happily, “That’s great! I’ll go order a cake.”

Seeing Mother Empress excitedly ordering a cake, decking out the house, and other trivial matters, Rong Ting’s lips curled into a smile. He was not lonely. He was used to it, and Father Emperor had once said that the peak was unbearably cold2. The emperor did not need a confidant; to maintain clarity, one must remain solitary, so as to see everything thoroughly and clearly and to not be blinded by so-called friendship and make a wrong judgement.

But if Mother Empress was happy, then he was happy.

Since they had eaten strawberries, Song Yuan wanted Rong Ting to brush his teeth again. After brushing their teeth, they got ready to head to bed.