WTPA: Part One

It's hard to sneak out of the orphanage when your gut says 'No'.

15-year-old Alexandria Einstein knew about this a lot—when I say a lot, I MEAN a lot. She tried sneaking out six times, but every time before she reaches the door, she turns back and goes back into her room.

"Why do you want to go anyways?" One of her roommates asked. "Because this place is a freaking dump!" Alex spat—she got twenty minutes in the 'Quiet Room' for that. She always knew that she was different from the others. She had long, knee-length blonde hair with a red streak, and she was always wise, powerful, and eye-catching.

And her favourite animal? The Phoenix. She didn't know why the Phoenix was her favourite animal—it just always has been. Her oldest memory was when she saw a red-and-orange-and-yellow blur flying above her leaving behind a trail of fire. 

"Earth to Alex?" Alex was snapped back to reality when her stepsister, Lyssy, snapped her fingers. Like her, Lyssy had blonde hair and a red streak—except that her hair was a lighter blonde and that her hair is mid-length.

And yes, her favourite animal is Phoenix as well.

"Hey, Lys," Alex smiled as Lyssy pulled up a seat and sat down, slapping two workbooks and a pencil case onto the lunch table. "We have homework from this dump." Alex sighed and flipped to a random page.

"Not any random page, we have to do Page 12," Lyssy sighed and picked up a black pen. "I just wanna draw Phoenixes in my sketchbook already..." Alex sighed. "Well, Albert Einstein DID say 'Imagination is more important than knowledge'," Lyssy quoted.  

Alex smirked. "Do you have to start quoting Albert Einstein just because of our name?" Lyssy nodded and scribbled something.

'Attention, attention!' Alex and Lyssy shot up to see one of the person running the orphanage standing on a table with a microphone. 'As I was saying,' He continued. 'Today, we will be going nature walking! So please get all the thing you'll need, then get into groups of two. Your cabin will provide you with worksheets.'

Fifteen minutes later, the girls found themselves on a large bus with over fifty kids, heading toward the woods.

While Lyssy was pressed against the window, taking in everything, Alex stared at her shoes.

"Al? Is something wrong?"

Lyssy, being the observant one, noticed the smile wiped off of Alex's face. "Huh? Oh, I'm fine." Alex smiled.

Lyssy stared, the shrugged. "Okay, wanna play a game? It'll take your mind off the thoughts—whatever it is."

Alex nodded. "Sure! What is it?"

"Bus Stain Treasure Hunt!" 

Alex recoiled. "Lyssy, that's gross," Lyssy sighed. "Please? Look, I found a stain that's shaped like the Illuminati!" Alex peered over Lyssy's shoulder and saw a weirdly shaped triangle with a circle inside.

"Okay, fine. You're on!" Alex grinned and bent over her seat to look for some interesting stains. She won when she found a particular stain that looked like one of their bunkmates, and she was... um... hasty.

"I don't know how you won," Lyssy grinned playfully. Alex put on a cocky grin. The bus jerked forward, and the sisters looked outside the windows and they saw forest and bushes for miles. 

The girls were so excited, that they didn't saw a red-orange-and-yellow bird fly towards a tree and perch onto a branch, observing them.

The girls—although they didn't know it yet—were officially here the heart of the Phoenix Academy.