1

Gray

There's one person that won't leave my mind, no matter what I do.

I hoist myself against the morning light, bring both hands to my face—all these thoughts of him need to get out, and out for good.
Why is it him of all people? Who gave him permission to get under my skin in more than one way?
I sigh against my palms, peering through the slits between fingers. My reflection in the mirror stares back at me.

It all started a year ago. The time of day, the food I ate, the scar I got right before, unwillingly, I remember it all. I had felt nothing but irritation toward him. I wish I still did. But amid our efforts to kill each other...

Everything fell to a crashing halt when the sunlit sight of him became all my eyes could see. I had finally pinned him down after an hour of nothing but getting bruises, ready to deliver the final blow. But I never did. Something made me stop.
It might have been the way it wasn't just my eyes that were wide, but his. The way I caught glimpse of something beneath the surface, that there was more to him than being the happy-go-lucky guy I thought I always knew. But maybe the heavens was simply nice enough to curse me with all of these unnecessary feelings. 

I bound down the stairs, take in the sight of everything in its proper place. I haven't told them a word about where I live, because once they find out... spick-and-span will be a thing of the past.

The executive decision has been made: once again, I will wear nothing. Okay, fine, I'll get dressed. But as a close second to being in love, let me tell you: clothing is overrated.

One easy walk in the sun and I've reached my destination. Tall spires tower overhead, gigantic doors wait to be opened as I hum before the entrance. There's few things I know that are as prestigious as Fairy Tail's newly renovated hall.
But the moment I pull on the handles, I have to duck to prevent certain death. A table soars over my head and crashes behind, pieces ricocheting. Another fight. Why am I surprised?
Amid the chaos, I make it to the usual spot and heave a sigh of relief when I see it's miraculously exempt from the war zone.

"Hey Gray! Why aren't you in the fight?" Over the noise, Lucy has to yell. And as I pull out a chair across from her, so do I.
"Dunno. 'Guess I don't feel like fightin' right now."
I stare over my shoulder; the scene has one leading star. Dr. Chili Pepper doubles down on a frenzy, totaling everyone unfortunate enough to lie in his path of fire. The clothes of his subjects have burst into flames as they try to crawl away. I'm grinning way too wide at the sight.

But when he walks up to us, I know it's time: pretend the sign over there is more interesting.

While I follow the list of alcoholic beverages, I don't notice the adorable grin that's spread across his face. I don't let my heart begin to thaw when he raises his fists and declares complete and utter victory.
Lucy slaps him a solid high-five. "Nice, Natsu!" I want Lucy to stall for me while I leave in secret, but it's too late. His attention's on me, his smile now a scowl. Damn it. 

"Snow cone! Why didn't you fight with me?" 
I pinch the bridge of my nose. "Just go away, you monster."
With every step he takes toward me, it gets harder and harder to steady my breathing. Of course he's doing the opposite. 
"You look like you needa wake up." I hear knuckles cracking. "Maybe this'll help!"
The fist that plunges down is solid enough for my face to make a not-so-gentle interaction with the table. And as soon as I get the chance, I give him a glare cold enough to make the entire room drop several degrees.

"Did it ever occur to you that I'd rather be left alone?" Ugh, my head... 
"But you're with Lucy."
"'Cause she's way more tolerable than you." I let the words marinate the air while I saunter away. I don't care—my morning's been ruined. Even if he's all I can think about, I still can't bring myself to deal with antics like that.