Chapter 2

We arrived at school five minutes before the bell. I sat stiff in my seat dreading to move a muscle.  "You coming?" asked Porter. I shot him a forced smile. "Yeah." I tugged at the dead skin on my fingers, a nervous habit I had picked up over the years. Porter eyed me suspiciously. He was well aware I didn't want to go in. Not one bit. I smiled again. "Lets go." I said as I opened the door and stepped out of the car. 

The sky was dark today, ominous.  Porter opened his door and stepped out, resting his arms on the top of his car and tilting his head up toward the gloomy sky above. "Rain." he scoffed. Porter hated rain. I however loved it. "Looks like the wind might pick up too." I added just to annoy him. He rolled his eyes. "Yeah whatever. Lets just get inside before the sky opens up on us." he grumbled as he threw is black bag over his shoulder and began to walk down the sidewalk. I smiled and a giggle escaped me as I hurried after him. 

"Are you taking the old hall?" Porter asked more serious now. I turned my head down to look at my feet as I walked. "Most likely." I said now slowing my pace. I clutched my bag and bit my lip. Porter stopped and grabbed my arm. I jolted to a stop. "Hey what's the big idea?" I snapped at him. He learned down so his face was close to mine. I looked away felling heat rise to my cheeks. "I can walk you to your class if you're afraid of him." he said. Him...Rowan. The boy who found absolute joy win tormenting me and making my life a living hell. I looked up again. "I'll be fine. Don't worry about me." I said. 

I looked up again to his face only a foot away from mine. He was looking at my lips but he looked away suddenly when I peered up. "We should go." he said trying to fix his button up. "Ya." I said still baffled and hot. Porter didn't look at me until we got to the main entrance doors. "I'll see you in fourth period." he said. I nodded, "Sounds good to me." He gave me a smile before turning away and walking down the hall. His hair, clothes, and his smile where all so perfect. I couldn't help but watch in awe. He was so handsome and kind and yet he hung around with someone like me. 

"Take a picture it will last longer princess." said a low rough voice from behind me. I whipped around knowing the tone far to well. It was Rowan. He was leaning against the wall behind me. My heart began to pound. He was wearing combat boots and black pants that seemed to have far to many pockets. His shirt was an olive green making me wish I had wore a different hat. 

"Hello Rowan." I said trying to walk away but he stepped in my path blocking me from the stairs and to my escape. The bell sounded leaving only the two of us in the hall. My heart felt like it might explode. "I need to get to class." I urged. He walked toward me and I stepped back on instinct. He smiled, "There is no need to be scared princess." He mocked. "Don't call me that." I said hesitantly. He chuckled his low voice sending nervous shivers down my spine. "And why not princess?" He asked nearing me and leaning down. 

His dark curly hair hung in tangles but the one thing that always stood out was the platinum strip he had at the front of his head. His green eyes shot daggers into my skin. I hated the feeling he gave me and most of all I hated him. "Because that's not my name and I don't even look like a princess." I said trying to give him reason to leave me be. " He smiled and looked me up and down. "Then what should I call you captain saggy shirt." He mocked. I flinched. 

He laughed and sat on the stairs and tipped his head to look at me. "Do you even have a chest under all those baggy clothes." He giggled wickedly. My breathing began to get heavier from frustration. "doesn't matter." I said angry. 

"Rowan." called a voice from around the corner. I looked around in panic. It was Danny, one of Rowan's pals and the worst one of them. Rowan looked at his friend and then back at me before lowering his head. Danny's face twisted in amusement when he saw me. "Well if it isn't the mutt herself." He said walking right up next to me. I clutched my fists. I wished someone would walk around the corner to my rescue but I knew better. This side of the building had no cameras and I'd never seen a hall monitor walk this way. 

"Not saying anything hu?" Tormented Danny. He circled me like a hungry shark just waiting to take a bite. I looked up at Rowan but his attention was still down at his feet. He was doing everything he could not to look at me. "I don't have anything to say." I glared up at him. He smiled, "oh is that so?" he said in his dark twisted voice. I gulped swallowing and bravery I had to stand up to him. He smacked the back of my head and snatched my beanie off. I reached for it but to no avail. He was stronger, meaner, and taller then I was. "Give it back." I pleaded still trying to pry it from him. He held it over his head until he realised I wan't going to reach for it any longer."Fine." he said as if giving up and lowering the beanie. I exhaled relieved but before I could take it from him he threw it into the nearest trash bin. 

I looked at the nasty bin and then back at him. An evil smiled pulled at his lips. "Go on. Go get it mutt." he ordered. I hate you, I thought to myself. I didn't move. Danny's smile vanished and he stepped behind me. "Move." He barked making me jump. A mixture of angry tears now burned my eyes. Don't cry. Don't cry. Do not cry. I ordered myself. I didn't move. I wasn't going to. Today would be the day I stood strong. 

"I said move!" Danny yelled and pushed me with all his strength sending me falling to the floor by the rotten smelling trash bin. Both of my arms had no time to catch me and I landed on my right side. He laughed and hurried over to me. "All you needed was a little help mutt." He cackled but then his face turned sick and cold. I pulled myself against the door. I could feel my head spinning around me and a hot sensation burning my elbow. Danny knelt down next to me. "I'm teaching you to do as you're told." He said in a whisper. "All good dogs go threw training." he said. I looked away from him and bit my lip. "A mutt like you needs to know your place." He laughed and reached for my face and I moved my head to avoid him. "Guess you never learned though. Your father was a mutt too. My old man told me everything about the piece of shit. Left your lunatic mom to take care of a mistake of a daughter. Sound about right?" He said coldly. I could feel the anger pulsing in my tightly gripped fingers. He licked his lips and his eyes widened. "This is were you say thank you." He ordered. 

"Come on man lets just leave. You've had your fun." Rowan finally butted in. I glared over at him. Finally deciding to speak up? What a jerk. Rowan stood up and walked over to Danny. "Teasing a mutt to much makes them bite." He looked down at me and reached his hand out to "help" me. I  pulled my legs closer to me. "You wouldn't want her to find her bite when we haven't even had fun with her right?" Rowan questioned Danny. Danny nodded his head and stood up. My body relaxed for a moment. "You're right Row." he said stepping back. "We'll just have to catch you later." he said wickedly. 

My teeth clenched. "See you around mutt." Danny called as he swung his hands into his pocket and began to slink his way down the hall again. Rowan didn't move. "Don't tell anyone about what happen here. We don't need anymore trouble." he said sorely as he reached out his hand for me again. "Piss of." I muttered under my breathe. Rowan smiled. "As you wish princess." he said cooly before scratching the nape of his neck and walking down the hall to meet up with his twisted friend.