Hearing Klaus' words, Cadence laughed humorlessly. "Now, what kind of crack are you on to believe these people will agree to that?"

"No crack, love. It's simply that if Elijah believes his treaty is working, he'll be less inclined to get in my way," He explained and Cadence sighed in response when he hung up before she could say anymore.

_____

  That afternoon, once leaving Oliver to do the dirty work involving Cary, Cadence traveled to the Quarter to work a shift at Rousseau's. She was in the middle of washing off one of the tables with a wet rag when she turned to see Klaus walking in.

  "Dude, I literally spoke to you, like, an hour ago on the phone," Cadence complained, an aggravated look on her face, "What could you possibly have to tell me now? I just got to work."

"Perhaps I simply miss your company already," He replied, a wide grin forming on his lips.

"Oh, I doubt that," She replied, beginning to smile at him, "You do everything for a reason. So why is it you're here, Klaus? I already have Olly looking for that Cary dude you want to get your hands on so badly."

  "Actually, I came here for another reason. I formed an alliance with someone who may be able to help Father Kieran," He informed her and as much as she wanted to be hopeful, she knew she couldn't be while knowing who he was talking about.

"Let guess, Klaus. Tall, redhead, and a bit of bitch?" She asked and Klaus remained silent, meaning she was right, "She and my mother were the ones to hex Kieran in the first place. Why the hell would she help?"

"Because it's my decree that she does," He replied and Cadence didn't answer, causing him to smile slightly, "I was at least expecting a 'thank you' from you. I did, after all, do this for you," He paused and Cadence stared at him with an unreadable expression.

"So you slept with her to manipulate her?" Cadence suddenly asked and Klaus smiled as he rolled his eyes.

"Oh, well, I wouldn't put it like that—" He began to say, only to have Cadence cut him off.

"You know what? I don't want to know. The last thing I want is for you to get into detail about what you and Genevieve did together," Cadence replied, smiling as she turned her back to him.

"I won't. By all means, say no if you have an alternative," He reminded her and Cadence turned to him once more.

She stared at him, her lips parted. Nervousness was written all over her expression and Klaus could see that. He didn't know why, though.

"No," She replied softly, causing Klaus' face to fall, "Thank you for the offer, but I'm sorry. I can't agree to this. I don't trust Genevieve anywhere near Kieran. She won't help us. I can already see that. She's stringing you along. She could probably be claiming that she can help us when she actually can't."

"What does it matter if you can't trust her?" He complained, sighing as he took a step toward her, "At least, trust me."

Cadence lifted her head and shook her head. "No."

Klaus remained silent, a part of him looking hurt. He didn't respond and walked past her, on the verge of leaving.

"Wait!" Cadence called out, causing Klaus to stop and turn to her once more, "I trust you. And I hope that I won't have to regret it. Do whatever you have to, just help him. Please," She pleaded in a soft tone, tears forming in her eyes, "I don't want to lose him. He's the first person in my life that actually gave a damn about me. I wouldn't be the same if I lost him."