iv • a changing mindset

The next Monday at school you were walking to your locker with a few new friends when a voice behind you rapped: "Mister Edward Leeds, in my office, now."

You turned and saw Ned across the hall give a concerned look to Peter beside him.

"I'm fine, go." You heard Peter insist.

The two girls walking with you began talking about your next project in Biology.

Ned gripped his jacket tightly and visibly swallowed before following the teacher to his office.

You reached your locker and quickly opened it. Before anything could spill out, you shoved a few books in.

"MJ, I just think you'll have more fun partnering with Ben. He's so cute, and have you seen the way he looks at you?" Betty was saying. "___, back me up."

But before you could, a loud thump echoed behind you. Instinctively, the three of you turned.

Flash Thompson, the guy who'd harassed you on your first day was standing beside a boy in the middle of a pile of fallen books. "Whoops, guess I couldn't see where I was going."

A few kids on the outskirts laughed and Flash sauntered away.

MJ and Betty went back to talking about boys in class while you grabbed your science textbook and shut your locker. Ready to go, you started walking with your new friends when you realized something. The boy on the ground gathering papers was Peter.

You hesitated. You were under no obligation to help Peter out. You had friends and a class to get to. And if you made Betty and MJ wait just so you could spend time with the blind kid, you figured they'd pretend they didn't know you.

Walking away was sounding like a great option.

But on the other hand, the bell would be ringing any second, Peter hadn't collected even half of his things, and Ned was nowhere to be seen. You inwardly cringed.

The bell rang. "Come on, we need to go." Betty urged, but you grimaced and rooted yourself to the spot.

"You guys go ahead." You said through clenched teeth.

MJ raised an eyebrow. "Okay?"

They left, confusion emanating from them.

After a minute, you turned.

"Here," you bent down and grabbed the remaining supply. "Class is starting."

Peter felt for his books and took them from you.

You both stood up and you realized the hall was nearly empty now.

"Where are you headed?"

Peter adjusted his sweater and felt for the wall. "Room two-seventy."

You thought for a minute. "That's the English hall, right?"

Peter nodded.

Finally, you sighed. "Come on."

"I don't need a tutor and a babysitter."

You rolled your eyes. "Ned's in the office. You need my help. Besides, no one's here, class has already started."

You were puzzled at first when he sighed and reached his hand out towards you, but then understanding blossomed. His fingers found the cuff of your long sleeve shirt and he gripped your forearm.

You led him down a hall, up the stairs, and around a corner.

Already dreading the explanation you knew you would have to give Betty and MJ, you tried to distract yourself and said: "So, English huh? How'd that essay go?"