XII - The Worst Day

Persephone, Harry, Ron, and Hermione had always known that Hagrid had an unfortunate liking for large and monstrous creatures. During their first year at Hogwarts he had tried to raise a dragon in his little wooden house, and it would be a long time before they forgot the giant, three-headed dog he'd christened "Fluffy." But that was it, Persephone knew that Hagrid would've never let that creature kill somebody.

In the first place, if he had kept it hidden until then, she doubted that the idea of letting it go around the castle, for stretching its many legs, had ever crossed his head. Secondly, if Hagrid was really the culprit for the death of that girl fifty years ago, that implied that he was responsible for this year's events and that meant also that he was the Heir of Slytherin. As much as she liked Hagrid, he didn't exactly give her the Salazar Slytherin's descendant vibe. It was as ridiculous as affirming that Harry was the Heir.

Speaking of Harry, Persephone didn't like the fact that he was actually considering that possibility. Harry had known Hagrid for more than a year and still he preferred to doubt him and listen to a guy he had never really met personally.

Lastly, Hagrid liked Hermione and what was Hermione?

Exactly, a Muggle-born!

He would never harm her. He had even defended her when Malfoy had called her Mudblood. Why would he set a monster against Muggle-borns?

Theoretically speaking, as sad as it was, it was more believable claiming that Persephone was the Heir. She was a Black after all, and she knew that her mother's family — her family — had a history of pure-blood ideals' supporters. Not all of them, but most of them, her grandparents included. Who said that somewhere in her messed up family tree there wasn't a Slytherin's descendant?

Again and again Ron and Hermione made Persephone and Harry recount what they'd seen, until they were heartily sick of telling them and sick of the long, circular conversations that followed.

"Riddle might have got the wrong person," said Hermione. "Maybe it was some other monster that was attacking people..."

"How many monsters d'you think this place can hold?" Ron asked dully.

"We always knew Hagrid had been expelled," said Harry miserably. "And the attacks must've stopped after Hagrid was kicked out. Otherwise, Riddle wouldn't have got his award."

Ron tried a different tack.

"Riddle does sound like Percy — who asked him to squeal on Hagrid, anyway?"

"But the monster had killed someone, Ron," said Hermione.

"And Riddle was going to go back to some Muggle orphanage if they closed Hogwarts," said Harry. "I don't blame him for wanting to stay here..."

"You met Hagrid down Knockturn Alley, didn't you, Harry?"

"He was buying a Flesh-Eating Slug Repellent," said Harry quickly.

The three of them fell silent. After a long pause, Hermione voiced the knottiest question of all in a hesitant voice.

"Do you think we should go and ask Hagrid about it all?"

"That'd be a cheerful visit," said Ron. "'Hello, Hagrid. Tell us, have you been setting anything mad and hairy loose in the castle lately?'"

Another pause followed, then Harry looked at Persephone, who had stayed silent for the entire conversation.

"Sephie... what do you think?"

"You don't want to know..." she said quietly.

"What do you mean?" Hermione asked cautiously.