Chapter 1

Nate’s POV

“Babe, I’ll see you when I get back, kay? ... Totally. I’ll call every night. ... Yes, babe. ... Love you, too. ... Bye,” I said, closing my cellphone phone after talking to Chrissy, my girlfriend.

As I reached the suitcase weigh counter, I lifted my huge suitcase up onto the scale, smiling at the airport worker. 

There was an awkward silence as I waited for the scale to make its final decision on the weight of my suitcase.

“77.3 pounds,” the woman confirmed while attaching a tag on the handle of the suitcase.

“Okay, thanks,” I said, walking off towards the gate.

~ ~ ~

I settled into my seat as the jet engines loudly fired up. Popping a piece of chewing gum into my mouth, I shut my phone off and glanced at the old guy next to me who was snoring already. I rolled my eyes as we accelerated forward. 

Soon, we were high above the clouds and I had my iPod headphones shoved into my ears and my laptop open, typing my stupid English paper, due the day I got back from my trip. I was going to have so much make up work to do when I returned. I mean, sure, I’m excited to visit my grandparents and all, but I have to admit, two weeks is a long time. 

~ ~ ~

I woke up, startled by a flight attendant with a heavy English accent, asking me to “put up my tray, turn my electronics off, and return my chair to its original position.” 

“Good afternoon, Flight forty niners!” an enthusiastic man with an accent said. “We will begin our descend in about four or five minutes, so please buckle up.”

A few minutes later, the voice shouted out again, “We will be experiencing some bad weather, so please remain calm as you may feel some air bumps.”

Oh great. I peered out the window. As we dropped lower and lower in the sky, the rain pelted down outside. I glanced at the guy sitting next to me, still snoring and in the same position as he was when we had taken off. I wondered how he managed to do that for a seven and a half hour flight. I wonder if he’s dead... Nope. He was breathing.

After a few more significant drops, we managed to land, not smoothly, but we were alive and on steady ground. I hated flying. 

Now I just had to wait to be picked up by Gram and Gramp’s friends grand daughter or something. She better get here soon.

Lillian’s POV

I pulled into the airport parking lot, glancing at my watch. 4:13. I told Nana and Grandpa that I’d pick the kid up at 4:15. Better hurry.

I parked the little, old fashioned, turquoise bug and ran inside, my tall leather boots clicking with each long stride.

I reached the gate out of breath and saw a boy standing, searching... for me. I walked over.

“So, you must be Nate?” I asked politely.

“Yeah,” he replied blandly. 

I extended my hand out, “I’m Lillian, but most people just call me Lilly. Nice to meet you, Nate.”

“Yep,” he said, shaking my hand, but staring off to the side, refusing to make eye contact with me. 

“Luggage claim?” I asked, assuming he had a suitcase.