MY STORY COULD BE YOURS

She was there, holding on to something that she should've set free a long time ago. It was hurting so bad, but the thought that this was the love she deserved... Besides, who else could love her for who she was?

     The beginning is always beautiful, he woke her up caressing her warm cheeks, and a kiss full of love  filled her entire being with possibilities for the rest of the day. Those were the gestures, his gestures, that put that silly smile on her face. And just like that, her frozen heart melted.

     But days passed, and problems appeared. He didn't have any friends at the moment. Neither she did, but she was excited to start her college life and meet new people. That was when jealousy kicked in. How could he let her hang out with other people when the possibility of meeting another guy and forget about him was there? No, he couldn't and he didn't. He made her feel guilty for hanging out and leaving him alone even when she hadn't even left yet. So she felt. So she stayed.

     A few weeks later, he got a job and, of course, he made new friends. At that time, she was staying at home, stressing and worrying about finals. But, she couldn't stop thinking about him, wondering why he wasn't calling her anymore and still, she was waiting impatiently for him to get home. She needed to feel that she wasn't alone, and his arms around her could make that possible.

     One day, he walked through the door and saw her crying. He sat on the bed next to her and asked if everything was ok. It wasn't. All those feelings, over which she had no control, invaded her like crazy. She got nothing. No hug, no company, no warmth.

     As the days went by, he was getting colder and colder. He started to tell her not to bother him at work, not during his lunch break, not ever. She opened her heart once again and tried to explain her feelings, and words such as paranoid, crazy, maniac, annoying, kept coming out of his mouth. She really started to believe that something was wrong with her, that whatever was going on was indeed her fault for being "a paranoid crazy bitch". Yes, just like that.

     One night, she texted him asking how he was doing. No response for hours and, suddenly, the phone rang. There was the proof she was waiting for, hoping for,—at least that's what she thought—but he was mad, he was so sick of her calls, so sick of her. Words like "no", "stop", "I'm with my friends", "stop being so paranoid", "stop being so weak" came out until he hung up on her.

     She hated herself. She was constantly crying. All her world was falling apart. Her mother was calling her several times a day, listening to her crying, just as her friends did. These were the people who helped her remember who she was.

     It took time fighting the loneliness and realize she wasn't actually alone. She won the fight and put her fairy tale—which, eventually, became a nightmare—to an end.

     Love should be magical and neverending, and true love is because it lasts, if it's one-sided hope—not love—it's just a dream. And we all know, dreams end when you wake up.

     Healing the wounds that someone else's spikes gave you is not easy. After a deep wound, there will always remain a scar to remind you of what you truly deserve. What I truly deserve.

     Yes, I was there and now, I can see it.