28 ; three times the charm

Start from the beginning

They waved to eachother, and almost like a light switch, Maia's face went from happy and energetic to apathetic and bored. "What did you want to talk about?"

"I know what you did," Aang started, but his voice cracked, and it didn't come across as strong. "To him. I know he forgot all of it, too."

Maia looked like he'd just stabbed her. If he didn't know any better, he thought she might start screaming.

"Who told you that?" She asked nervously.

"Told me what?" Aang started to get angry. "That you made a kid try to kill himself because you thought two asshole friend's thoughts were more important?"

"That wasn't my fault," she said.

"He told you everything and you didn't stop to think about that? You knew he was suicidal, and you still laughed at him," He argued. "You let your friends bully him whule you sat there and laughed."

"It's not my fault that he was the reject," Maia said incredulously.  "Zuko's the one who was too fucked to to care about living. It's not my responsibility to care for his feelings. I need to have friends, too."

"Your friends? Are you even still friends with them?" Aang asked. "I know Zuko isn't your responsibility. But you were his only friend, and you should've been there for him. If you knew he was considering ending it all, maybe you should've paid more attention to him than your personal image."

"Yeah, well, all of them are the same," Maia scowled. "Anyone who openly tells you they're suicidal obviously only said so for the attention. So, yeah, fuck me for not taking it seriously I guess."

"That's not true," Aang said. "If someone tells you these things, you're not supposed to think it's some grab for attention. That person trusts you to help them. If they were deadset on dying, do you really think they would've told you?"

Maia looked at the ground. "It's not my fault."

"Why are you here? Talking to him?" Aang asked.

"I wanted to see how he was doing," She blushed. "And, truthfully, I never got over my crush on him."

Aang looked away. This girl seemed so genuine, but Iroh had seemed so serious. He had promised to keep her away from Zuko, but all she wanted was to check up on him. It couldn't hurt...

"Well, I just wanted to confront you," Aang sighed. "Thanks, I guess, for telling me everything. I can't control if you hang out with Zuko, because it's up to you two right now. But I also think you should definitely tell him about what you did. Zuko's turned into a super forgiving person... I think you might have a chance."

"Thank you," Maia smiled genuinely.

"But don't think I'm letting you off that easy," Aang ran a hand through his hair. "You hurt Zuko. Bad. So if you ever do anything wrong towards him, you'll never talk to him again."

Maia nodded, obviously not taking his words that seriously. Aang stepped to the side, and she walked quickly past him.

It had only been two days before Zuko cornered Aang behind the sciencd building. He was so close that Aang could feel his warm breath on his face. It wasn't helping that he had his hands on either side of him, and was staring straight into his eyes.

"What did you say to her?" He asked.

Aang's heart fluttered with anxiety. "I was just talking...."

Zuko sighed, closing his eyes briefly. "Aang, I know you've said something. Tell me what it is."

Aang would've backed up farther, but he was already against the wall. He hadn't seen Zuko act like this before, and it was almost scary. Although, he knew Zuko would never hurt him.

"If I tell you..." Aang grabbed Zuko's wrist gingerly and pulled it off the wall. He threaded their fingers together, holding their hands between them. "You can never tell Iroh that I told you."

"My uncle? What does he have to do with this-"

"Just promise," Aang said.

Zuko stared at him and his expression softened. "Yeah, okay, I promise."

Aang took a deep breath, wondering if this was the right thing to do. Zuko should know his past, right? He could see the realization in his face when Aang started to explain. Zuko's hand loosened around his and he soon let his hair fall into his eyes.

He was standing so close, Aang wanted to hug him and take back what he had said. But he didn't, and so they stood there, silently. Aang could hear the gears turning in Zuko's mind.

Then, Zuko adruptly turned and walked towards the side of the building. Aang pushed himself off the wall and followed him, not daring to speak up.

"Don't follow me," Zuko said without looking back. His tone wasn't harsh like Aang had expected.

"Don't be mad at me," Aang pleaded, he felt like someone was squeezing his throat.

"I'm not mad," Zuko stopped and turned. He put a hand on Aang's shoulder. "In fact, I'm glad you told me.... But I don't want you to follow me. I'm going to visit my uncle."

"You can't," Aang grabbed his arm as he walked. "You promised."

Zuko tried to pull his arm away. "Aang. Let go."

"You," Aang swallowed, tightening his grip. "You promised. You promised."

Zuko pulled Aang's hand off his jacket sleeve and ruffled his hair, sighing. "Not all promises are meant to be kept."

Aang looked down. "Then can I come with you?"

"No," Zuko said. "This is a family thing."

"But I'm worried too, you can't-"

"I wouldn't expect you to understand," Zuko furrowed his brow. "I have to do this alone."

Aang opened his mouth to say something, but the words got stuck in his throat. Zuko gave a small, sad smile and walked around the corner. Aang didn't leave until almost ten minutes later, and skipped the test of school at home.

lmao hi

maia can eat my ass i hate her sm 😭
anywayssssss see u next time!

v o t e for my story. this is a threat.