Chapter Seven: The Set Up

Start from the beginning

Draco was thankful for the treats, but was half convinced his mother was trying to make him the size of Crabbe and Goyle. Narcissa had written her usual words of encouragement to Draco, but Draco was sincerely pleased to see that his father had finally written back about Gringotts at the end of the parchment.

Draco,

It is an interesting situation to say the least. I will tell you that the item they were looking for was not stolen because it was taken out of the vault earlier that day and brought to Hogwarts. Now in exchange for that piece of information I want you to drop the subject and focus on your studies.

Lucius Malfoy

"Get a load of this," Draco whispered, and his three, not useless, friends leaned in while Crabbe and Goyle fought each other for the last licorice wand.

Pansy let out an audible gasp. "It's here in the castle?" She asked.

"That doesn't seem safe," said Blaise with a frown.

"Don't be ridiculous," said Daphne. "We are completely safe with Dumbledore here."

Draco scoffed, and Blaise looked just as doubtful.

"You may not like him," said Daphne. "But that doesn't change that he is a powerful wizard who is feared by many."

Malfoy stood up suddenly.

"Where are you off too?" Asked Daphne.

"I'm in the mood for some hell-raising," shrugged Draco and he stalked off towards the Gryffindor table.

"Befriend the Potter boy," the words from his father rang in Draco's head. Truth be told, Draco had no idea what he was planning on doing as he walked up to the Gryffindor table: Extend an olive branch? Create more problems? He knew that he should make amends with Harry and try to befriend him, so that is what he finally decided to do at the last second.

"'It's a Remembrall!'" Draco heard Neville shout "'Gran knows I forget things — this tells you if there's something you've forgotten to do. Look, you hold it tight like this and if it turns red — oh . . .you've forgotten something . . .'"

Draco took the Remembrall from Neville's hand and the red smoke faded instantly. "Quite an interesting find Nev-" Draco said, handing it back, but he was interrupted by Harry and Ron jumping up on their feet.

Professor McGonagall saw the confrontation begin and was by their side in an instant. "'What's going on?'" she asked.

"'Malfoy's got my Remembrall, Professor.'" Draco felt his stomach drop. Of course they were trying to get him in trouble. Even though he had just been trying to make conversation. Even though he had his arm extended, literally holding the Remebrall out to hand it back to Neville.

It's useless Draco thought to himself. These idiots hate me and they would never want to be my friend, so why even bother. Malfoy dropped it hard onto the table.

"Just looking," Draco murmured and turned to walk away. He saw that Crabbe and Goyle were right behind him. They must have come to his aide after seeing Harry and Ron jump up. Maybe they are not completely useless Draco thought to himself as he walked back to his table.

"What the hell was that?" Asked Blaise who was cracking up at the exchange that had just transpired.

Draco slumped down in his seat. "My dad wanted me to befriend Potter, okay?" Draco mumbled.

"They are never going to like you," Blaise laughed, shaking his head. "Don't even bother trying. Snakes and lions don't mix."

"I didn't even want him as a friend anyways," Draco insisted through a bruised ego. "I was only doing it to please my family."