Epigraph

I feel the burning around me. Men, women and children scream in pain. What was once my home is now up in flames. Tears run down my face as I watch everything around me burn.

"Tate." I turn to Ellie. She looks at me with absolute disgust, "How can you be one of these people? These Scars."

"They're called Seraphites." I whisper quietly.

"Same thing." I open my mouth to speak, but hear another voice.

"Isabella." Ellie disappears and my mother is in front of me.

"Mother." I take a step forward, but she steps back.

"You're no daughter of mine." I watch with tears on my cheeks as she continues backtracking. She keeps her eyes locked on me as I burn in the flames. The fire dances around me.

"Tate." I hear Lev's voice whisper, "Tate."

I jump up from the shaking of my shoulders. My eyes connect with Lev's. I furrow my eyebrows at him, "What are you doing?"

"I couldn't sleep." Lev whispers to me. I give him a small nod before scooching over. Lev climbs in with me and leans his head on my shoulder, "I miss them." Lev whispers. I don't even have to ask to know that he's talking about Yara and Abby.

"I know." I whisper.

"She really wasn't bad." Lev once again tells me.

"I don't think anyone is good." I chuckle, "except maybe you."

"You're good." Lev tells me and I stay quiet, "Do you not think anyone here is good?"

"I think they're the best, but that doesn't mean they haven't done bad things. We all have."

"Yeah." Lev whispers, "We all have." It stays quiet between the two of us. We just sit in silence, enjoying that we both understand each others scars.

"Lev." I whisper.

"Yeah?"

"Do you think you can forgive them?" Lev stays quiet at this, "Lev, I need to know you'll be okay here."

"Everyone deserves a second chance." Lev whispers to me. He keeps his head on my shoulder and I rest head on his.

"Okay."