That time of the month

Start from the beginning

And yes, she knew quite well that there was nothing healthy about it. But it was like an addiction– she couldn't stop.

With a sigh, she answered the call.

"Hello?"

"...Hey Korra," Lyla's voice came from the other side of the line, and though Korra had been expecting this, it still almost made her drop her phone.

"Um, hi," Korra said awkwardly, "h-how are you?"

"I'm good," she answered, "what about you?"

"I'm uh... Also good."

"Good."

Pause.

"So," Korra started, "anything new happened to you in this past month?"

"Yes, actually," she let out a  nervous chuckle, "there's um... This guy I'm kinda talking to."

"Oh," Korra didn't really know how to respond. What do you say to your ex when she's talking about liking someone else? "So is he like, your boyfriend...?"

"No, no not yet," she laughed a little, "what about you? Someone new in your life?"

Korra opened her mouth to talk about Asami, but caught herself just in time, and her jaw closed with an audible click.

"It's complicated," she said eventually, looking away.

"Complicated how?"

"Well, you know me," Korra shrugged, as if Lyla could see her.

"...Right," her ex said, sounding a bit guilty, "um, well, good luck with... Whoever it is."

"I don't need luck," she answered, purely on instinct.

"Yeah, I know," Lyla sighed, "it was nice catching up with you."

"Same,"

"Well, bye,"

"Goodbye Lyla."

The line died.

Korra sighed and dropped her head on her room's table. She hated this so much, she didn't even know why she kept answering. Every time it felt like opening an old wound, and every time all that it did was just make her feel shitty for the entire day.

She had no idea how it started really. When they broke up, Korra had a hard time getting used to not being able to talk to Lyla whenever she wanted anymore because Lyla literally blocked her on every platform, and then one day not long after, she called. Then she called again, and again... And even two years later, she still kept calling, like it was a tradition.

Korra knew she should tell her to stop, but Lyla used to be such a huge part of her life... It's like she clang to this connection for dear life, even when she didn't really need it.

It's hard to let go of people sometimes.

With a sigh, she got up from her chair. Usually, she would wear something sleeveless (the school actually allowed those, as long as it wasn't spaghetti straps) and some tight jeans to show off her legs and arms. But today she didn't feel like attracting any sort of attention going to school, she just wanted to be alone. So, instead, she wore an oversized gray sweatshirt (hoping it wouldn't get too hot) and some black sweatpants, which was really fucking comfy.