"W-we are not... I-I mean..."

Snape's eyebrow twitched with irritation. "I do not usually involve myself in the romantic affairs of my students. If that is what this is. Which," he scowled, "I am not so certain it is. Nevertheless, you should not have contact with Draco," He lowered his voice until it was almost a growl. "Whatsoever."

He said the last word with lingering emphasis. The gravity of his words sunk into me like I had just been doused by a bucket of ice cold water. I wrung my hands behind my back. "Yes, sir."

Snape turned away from me, which I assumed was my cue to leave. I gripped the strap of my bag if only to give me some sense of security as I exited the classroom to the corridor. I wasn't sure where I was going next, but I chose a direction and walked.

I soon found myself alone in the halls of Hogwarts. Maybe everyone is by the Quidditch pitch for the game today. It was Slytherin versus Hufflepuff. Cade mentioned it to me whenever he could but I never gave him a promise to attend. I would have thought after the party when I ran out after he kissed me that he would get the hint that I wasn't interested. But he persisted; leaving me to wonder what it was about me that Cade found so enticing.

"I'm only a man," Draco said. "So remember that the next time you throw your body at me." A chill went down my spine. Draco wanted me for my body; so perhaps Cade was the same.

I continued walking by myself and contemplated turning around, as it seemed I was headed for a dead end. This castle was much too large for the amount of students in it. Being alone inside was just as dangerous as being outside, as you never knew what lurked in the shadows-

An arm suddenly shot out, grabbing me by the wrist and yanking me into a hidden corner. I gasped, preparing to scream- but soon realized the person who pulled me aside was none other than the black-clad Draco. I wrenched my arm from his grasp.

"What is your problem?" I demanded, looking up at the tall man, trying to make out his features in the dim light. "What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same question," he hissed, keeping his voice low. It seemed like he was trying to be covert. Sneaking around the castle, doing who-knows-what.

"I was just going for a walk," I replied. "Not particularly looking to bump into you."

Draco put his hands in his pockets. "Oh? Had enough of me, have you?"

I scowled. "I'll have you know that Snape just had a very strong-worded conversation with me." Draco's eyes widened. "He told me to stay away from you. That I didn't know what I was getting myself involved in," I glared at Draco with skepticism. "Care to explain what it is that I don't know?"

"Keep your voice down," Draco ordered, his eyes darting to the main corridor often. He put a hand on my arm and led me further into the dark nook that was about the size of a broom closet. I waited for Draco to explain.

"I-it's complicated," he said with a frown.

"So? Try to explain."

"Snape is a family friend, you see," he said, "He's been butting into my business in my father's absence. I'm sure all he's doing is trying to make sure I don't have any... distractions this year."

I digested his words. "So Snape, as your... temporary father figure, is voicing his disapproval of our supposed relationship." I paused. "Doesn't that bother you at all?"

"Not really, no."

I didn't understand Draco's self-assurance. "We shouldn't even be speaking right now," I said in a hushed voice, "What if he were to catch us?"

Draco shrugged, somewhat amused. "I don't particularly care," he smiled. "If he is so upset about the girls I'm snogging, that's his problem."

"We are not snogging," I said firmly. Draco seemed to be only pleased by my discomfort, and moved closer to me in a teasing way.

"We could be." Draco's deep tenor tingled through my bones. He loomed over me, close enough to where I could smell his cologne. "I don't see what's stopping us."

I scoffed. "You're incorrigible."

Draco leaned in, his eyes playful. "And you are..."

I flicked him in the ear. He recoiled from me, cursing.

"I bet you get off on this," I spat to him as he clutched his ear, his eyes wild with annoyance. "I am not a toy. You can't just play with me whenever you wish."

Draco straightened himself, his intimidating aura sliding back into place. "You have no idea the stress I'm under," he hissed. "Must I remind you that you serve me. I can do what I want with you."

Standing my ground, I retorted, "I agreed to heal you. I never agreed to any of the other shit."

"Oh, please. I know you must enjoy this."

"Not as much as you, it seems," I said with raised brows. Draco didn't have a response to that; we just stood looking at each other for a moment, me glaring and him gazing at me smugly.

"I'm leaving," I announced, making towards the main corridor to go back to my dorm- but Draco stopped me with a hand on my shoulder.

"Do you think you could retrieve a book for me?" he asked. I turned.

"Why can't you get it yourself?"

"I can't go to the library," he replied as if that should be obvious. "Potter's bookish friend practically lives there. It would raise suspicions."

"So send Crabbe or Goyle."

Draco laughed. "Them in the library? That would be even more suspicious."

I crossed my arms. "What even is this book that you need?"

Draco leaned in to me once more, keeping his voice at a whisper. "The Compendium on Toxins and Magical Blights."

I furrowed my brow. "What-"

"Don't ask questions," he interrupted. "It is in the restricted section. I've gotten a signature for you to take."

He forced a piece of paper into my hands. Snape's signature was printed in ink. I looked up at Draco with uncertainty.

"I don't think I can do this," I whispered. "Whatever you're plotting... I don't think I want to be involved."

"You won't get caught," Draco assured me. "If anyone asks, say it's research for your medical training. Deliver it to my dormitory. You have one week."

Reluctantly, I slipped the piece of paper into my robes. I gave no words of affirmation, nothing of reassurance to Draco; I wasn't even certain if I would follow through on this order. I left wordlessly. I had a week to decide.