In fact, he's so surprised that he somehow manages to whack his head on the shelf, leaving a nasty gash on his forehead.

"It's a long story." Jungwoo forces a smile. In some sense, that's the truth anyway.

Mark raises an eyebrow as he cleans the wound up, "I have a feeling that you did something stupid when you were out."

"Duh. I mean, have you seen what's outside our window!?" Jungwoo exclaims, gesturing frantically towards the door. "I can't help it sometimes!"

He flinches at his shouting that comes out of nowhere. However, he smiles as soon as he watches him gesture to the door instead of the window, "I know, I know. It's scary out there, isn't it?"

"Mm." he affirms, sucking air through his teeth harshly when Mark touches his forehead with a damp tissue. "Be careful."

"I'm being as careful as I can." he mutters, concentrating on cleaning up the rest of his face. Jungwoo's eyes don't leave him once.

Mark eventually moves on to picking a patch big enough to cover it. He spends a while rummaging through the miscellaneous first aid kit before he finds anything and, again, Jungwoo watches intently.

As Mark goes to put it on his forehead, he chooses to add, "I'd much rather be here with you than be out there with whatever the fuck they are."

"Aw, thanks," he chuckles. "I don't like going outside either, if it's any consolation."

Jungwoo smiles slightly. His eyes shift to the table, "At least we have enough to sustain us for a few days."

Mark follows his gaze, "If we're careful I think we could get a week out of that."

He nods his head once in response, raising a hand to brush over the fabric on his head, "Thank you...for this."

With a kiss on the cheek and a pat on his knee, Jungwoo receives a 'no problem' before Mark decides to get to his feet. A strange stretching noise echoes throughout their home, so Mark's attention is elsewhere.

"Those bastards better not destroy any more of that wall." he snatches a rifle that's been leaning against the doorframe to the kitchen. A rifle he stole from an abandoned military vehicle he discovered sticking out of an old bank.

He turns to Jungwoo, "Stay here and get some rest. I'll deal with them."

"In your dreams." he jumps to his feet, grabbing an axe hiding behind the couch. "If you fight, I fight too."

"Alright, but don't come complaining if you get hurt." Mark says as he loads the gun. "I told you to rest and you didn't listen."

"This whole thing has definitely made you meaner." Jungwoo rolls his eyes.

The corner of his mouth quirks up. A small framed photograph sits on top of the side cabinet; one they took just over two years ago, when everything was right. Mark's fingers gingerly brush over the top of it, "I don't think anyone is the same anymore. You've changed, too."

"How so?" he twirls the axe around in his hand, the blade close to hitting the wall but miraculously missing every single time.

"For one, the Jungwoo I used to know would never do that." Mark points out. "You're more feisty now than you used to be."

Jungwoo smiles sheepishly, but regains confidence when he says, "And you've toughened up a hell of a lot. Not once did I ever imagine Mark Lee of all people with a gun."

"Like I said, I don't think anyone is the same anymore." he snickers, stealing a kiss from him. "I still love you just the same, if it's an consolation."

"Likewise." Jungwoo cracks a smirk onto his face. He glances to Mark, and to the stairs, "Ready?"

The stairs lead to the top of the house, which has been practically dismantled by Infected. Half of the roof has been ripped off, meaning that Jungwoo and Mark have resorted to sleeping on the floor together in the living room. However, it's the perfect vantage point to take on Infected. Their brains are too broken to use common sense, so they'll simply jump up at them and get cut down before they can even get close.

It's the perfect plan, and it's worked for them every single time.

Mark loads the gun and flicks the safety off. Signalling to Jungwoo with a small nod, he takes the lead up the stairs. Without the faintest sound, they put one foot in front of the other and climb their way to the top floor.

The front wall has been largely ripped off, leaving a gap perfect for shooting. Mark is cautious when he sticks his head through the plastic sheet that has been protecting them from the outside world but, fortunately, nothing has taken residence in that gap just yet.

Now they're exposed, it's a matter of being swift. Jungwoo entwines their hands and pulls Mark hastily along to the front of the house. He makes sure Mark is just behind him, acting almost as a human shield, before preparing to swing the axe at the first thing that gets close.

For a time, it's deadly silent. All you can hear are the creaks and groans of the undead below them. They're undisturbed; like statues.

However, when Mark open fires on the creatures below, those creaks and groans transform into pained and alarmed shrieks. A noise Jungwoo is certain he'll never get used to hearing.

Even now, the world they live in is surreal. It's shaped their personalities. Neither of them think they'd recognise their former selves anymore. Mark's awkward nature has been shattered, whilst Jungwoo has become a stony face.

Although, they have each other. That's the one thing that will never find anything stronger to break. Not even an apocalypse. Even as they stand on the edge of the building, Jungwoo hasn't let go of the hem of Mark's shirt for a second, and his body hasn't shifted away from him.

Whatever happens, he cannot afford to loose the only one he has left; and they're both going to make sure of it.

— 1569 —

Again...more of a concept I suppose?

I just finished the Sweet Home kdrama and it gave me a bit of inspo so here's an Apocalypse AU!

I've got a really cute idea for the next one, and I think the ship is adorable too so I'll be getting on with that. I think it might be a long one though, so please bare with me a little while I try and pull it all together ♥︎