Dream - Machines

I'm running. I'm running harder than I ever have. It's hard to breathe, there's so much smoke around. I look to my wife, Fen. Her dark hair is matted, her eyes filled with fear. I look to my son, Mapoi, in her arms. He's crying, his little speckled cheeks red and slick with tears. We're running together, running from the horror that awoke us that night. The dark, smoking, metal horror that awoke us that night. Machines made of black iron and burning the forest around us. Machines carrying men in black iron, men that want to take us away, take us apart.

I have to do something other than run. I can't just let them do this to our homes. I turn back to fight them. "Aylan!" Fen cries, but I don't stop. Don't stop in time. I'm crushed by one of the machines, my body left behind.

My spirit looks to her again, still running, carrying our boy. "What happened to emai? Is she okay?" he cries.

"She'll be fine," Fen replies, though tears are forming in her own eyes. Instead of water, it's smoke that begins to pour from them. Mapoi's tears become smoke as well. I try to cry out to them, to tell them to never stop. But they slow down, the smoke from their eyes making them cough. They collapse, falling to the burning earth. Valiantly, she tries to shield him from anything coming at them. The machines devour them without hesitation.