Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

"What?!?"

"Shhhh!" Looking over his shoulder, William continued, "The twins have always liked to put on an act. It's like a way to rebel against our father."

"Poor Daniel."

"Don't 'Poor Daniel' him. He deserves it." William and I walked down Winter's Manor's front entrance, the beauty of it never seeming to grow old.

As we neared the ball room entrance, my sick feeling resurfaced. I tightened my grip on William's elbow and leaned on his shoulder. My palms were growing damp inside my gloves and I had a strong urge to wipe them against my dress like a third grader.

William and I stopped at the entrance, giving me extra time to prepare.

"You ready?"

I nodded.

Together, we smiled at each other. The doors opened and we were washed in a bright light. As we stepped forward, gasped fluttered across the room.

When my eyes refocused, William and I walked down the steps, eyes following our every move. I smiled at a few people and resisted the temptation of waving at them like a princess.

Half way down the steps, gasps filled the crowd once again and their attention turned to the other staircase on the farther side of the room. William and I looked up, catching sight of a family of three.

William froze, stopping our progress down the steps.

"It can't be..."

"William?...Who are they?"

"The...the...Rossi's..."

I looked back at the family and tilted my head in confusion. So...this is the family that's gotten Daniel so worried. They look like a normal family though. The dad is a little scary looking, but the wife and daughter look nice enough.

I shifted my attention to the daughter and caught her staring at me. I gave her a timid smile and nodded my head at her. For a fraction of a second, the girl had a disgusted look on her face before turning her head away from me, putting her attention somewhere else.

That was all it took for me not to like her.

As we began our descent down the steps again, the Rossi family mimicked us, following our every move.

Once again, the crowd gasped and shifted their attention to our side of the room. Confused, I looked behind us and caught sight of a couple. The girl had her head against the boy's neck and her hand was intertwined with his hand. The boy, man, actually, had his head on top of hers, a tiny smile on his lips.

The couple moved down the steps and stopped right behind us. William turned and smiled.

"Charles...Charlotte! You made it!" So these were the famous, 'incestous' twins...

"Of course, dearest brother." Charlotte said, a British accent rolling off her tongue. "I wouldn't miss it for the world." (AN: I had 'brotha' on here, but then I realized that that was a bad move)

"Yes, you would,"the quieter twin, Charles, replied, "You just came because you heard brother was in love."

"Yes, that is true. And this is her?" Charlotte glanced at me and raised an eyebrow. "Honestly, I actually expected a prostitute of some sort."

"Charlotte!"

I laughed and stuck out a hand. "Oh, it's alright, William. It's fine. It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Anna Williams."

"Oh, how ironic. And the pleasure is all ours. I'm Charlotte, the fun half of this famous duo. This is Charles, the moody half of it. He thought you were going to be a prostitute too."