Chapter 1

Avery walked through the dark, misty  night. Keeping her eyes glued to the elegant cobblestones of the French Quarter. She turned into the nearest bar and took a seat.

  "Bourbon," she muttered to the bartender who nodded in reply. She stared at the wall and tried not to think about the day she'd had. After an hour and a couple of drinks, she began to ponder what she would do next.

Taking another sip, she heard a bedroom voice speaking to her,

"Bad day?" Looking over, Avery saw the face of a man who could be a god if he wanted to. She would know, she thought and downed the rest of her drink.

  "You have no idea."

The gorgeous guy gave her a sly grin,"Tell me about it," and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear.

Avery shook her head, "Or we could talk about something else." 

He grinned again,"Or not talk at all."

She smiled at his attempt,"You got a name?"

His blue-grey eyes looked deep into hers,"Damon Salvator. Brother of Stefan, lover of none."

"Well, Mr. Damon Salvator, I'm Avery, Avery Carson." 

He kissed her hand, "Pleasure to meet you Ms. Carson, can I get you a drink?"

"That would be perfect." 

He smiled and waved the bartender over,"Two of what she's having my fine fellow." Again, the bartender nodded. 

"So, Damon, what brings you to New Orleans?" 

He grinned,"What doesn't? Beautiful music, beautiful culture, beautiful ladies, such as youself." 

Avery felt the blood rush to her cheeks.

"What brings you here?"

"New Orleans is my home. I was born and raised here." She smiled biterly.

"Is that not a good thing?" Damon seemed genuienly concerned.

"This place was great, just not the people in it." She replied.

"Well, I'm here now, so all that's going to change, for you."

She snickered,"Precocious, are we?"

Damon laughed,"I just prefer to get everything out in the open before it's too late," with that he downed his drink.

Avery nodded, "I get that, you don't really appreciate things until you lose them."

He gave her a sad smile, tossed some cash on the counter and said,"It's getting late, I should go."

"Without me?"

Damon laughed,"Now who's precocious?"

Avery grinned, and watched as he started to leave, "How will I find you?"

He turned around and with another sly grin replied, "I'll find you," and left.