She noticed his cheeks were flushed and his face drawn into stern concentration.  At that moment, he looked so much like Zeb it was uncanny.

He had taken on his role as Jacob’s big brother with the utmost seriousness. Three month old Jacob never lacked for wanting his pacifier or a blanket.  With just a little whimper, Brandon was at his side.

Brandon started to run.  He was about twenty feet back from Zeb and had the soccer ball at his feet.  He dribbled forward, lightly tapping the ball from one foot to the other without once taking his eyes off of his dad.

Zeb held his hands out, standing in between a makeshift goal they set up using two sticks that they stuck in the ground.  “Oh no you don’t,” Zeb teased jovially.  “You’re not going to get by me buddy.”

Brandon’s concentration never wavered in the slightest. He was intent on making the goal and Elizabeth had no doubts that he would make.  She knew exactly where that determination came from–his father.

When Zeb was intent on something, he got it.  That was how he won Elizabeth’s heart, persistence and determination.  She thanked God every day because he never gave up on her.

Brandon quickly closed the distance, his speed increasing inch by inch.  Elizabeth held her breath and watched him feign to the left.  Zeb easily fell for the trick and Brandon blew by him with the ball, scoring a goal.

“Aw man,” Zeb shot a glance over at Elizabeth, held up his arms and winked.  “What can I say, he got me.”

“Yeah, that’s what it looks like.”

"I did it! I did it!“ Brandon excitedly jumped up and down.  “Did you see me mama?  Did you see what I did?  I beat daddy.”

“I saw you, baby.  You did really good,” she told him and moved to sit up on her knees.  “But now, I think the two of you need to take a break so we can eat.”

Brandon picked up his ball.  “Awesome.  I’m starving.”

“The boy’s a natural,” Zeb announced, lifting Brandon up and putting him on his shoulders.  “He’s going to the next Donovan.”

“The next Landon Donovan? That’s a pretty tall order don’t you think?”

Zeb sat Brandon down on the end of the blanket and mussed his hair.  “Nah, Crooker’s can do anything they want as long as they put their minds to it.”

Elizabeth handed Brandon a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  “Is that so?”

“Sure is.”  Zeb grabbed the bottled waters out of the picnic basket and handed one to Brandon.  He twisted the top off a second water bottle and took several large gulps before bringing his gaze back to Elizabeth.  “That’s how I won you, sweetheart.”

Elizabeth shook her head.  “Alight, you have a point.  As long as our young Donovan doesn’t forget that school work comes first.”

“Mama,” Brandon asked around a mouthful of peanut butter and jelly, “after lunch can I go ride Bruno?  Pretty, please?”

Bruno was the pony that Zeb had bought for him two months ago.  The pony had a lot of spirit and even Elizabeth noticed that when Brandon approached that pony, he seemed to have a special way with him. They communicated with each other without ever really saying a word.

 Zeb spoke up. “We can ride him this evening after we take your mama and Jacob back home. We can ride on the trails back behind my parent’s house if you promise to eat all of your lunch.  Do we have a deal?”

 “Yes sir,” Brandon nodded, pleased that he was going to be able to ride his pony today.  He took another bite of his sandwich and turned his attention to his sleeping brother.