Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

My cheeks heated in embarrassment. From Dr. Watson's stories, I knew it was not often that the detective would praise a female, let alone a girl of my age! Clearing my throat, I turned to bid goodbye to the doctor.

When I turned back, Mr. Holmes had leaned close to Mum. Whatever he said made my mother's face go pale. Papa quickly moved between them. "Come, Aida," he said, holding out his hand to me.

"Thank you for your help, Mr. Holmes," I said, unsure what else I could say. It had been an honor to meet him, but words seemed inadequate. I felt as though saying anything would embarrass us both.

Mr. Holmes gave me a bow, much as he had for Mum. "It was my pleasure, Miss Aida," he said with a slight smile. "I look forward to seeing what you make of your life."

It seemed there was nothing left to do but get my carpet bag and say goodbye to Mrs. Hudson. But as I did so, a question remained at the back of my mind: why did Mr. Holmes continue to call me Miss Aida instead of Miss Norton as he should have?

****

Once we returned to Briony Lodge, Mum and Papa hurried upstairs to wash away the dirt of their captivity. That left me to my own devices for some time, and I chose to sit at the piano.

As sometimes happened, I lost track of time while playing. It was only when I heard applause did I realize I had an audience. I glanced over to see Mum in the doorway. With a smile, she walked towards me.

"You still refuse to keep time, but that was well done," she said. Her lacy white dressing gown seemed to float around her as she moved. "Maestro Bianchi will not have too many complaints when you return."

"Well, since I have had little time to practice singing, I think he will have many complaints and I will be lucky if he doesn't turn me out as soon as I step foot in his parlor." I gathered up the sheet music. "I'm not sure he will believe me if I were to explain why I went away without warning."

Mum sat on the bench beside me. "He will. For I will tell him it could not be avoided."

But it could have. If I hadn't been kept in the dark, had better choices been made by so many people, none of this would have happened. Before I could open my mouth to ask anything, Mum continued, "I'm sorry, Auida. I should have told you about my past well before this. I'd hoped it would never come up. Foolish of me."

"I will admit I was a bit shocked when I read Dr. Watson's account."

She let out a soft laugh. "A Scandal in Bohemia. Yes, I've seen it. The good doctor has a way with words, doesn't he? Why do you think I've used every excuse possible to keep you from the volume of his stories?"

"How much of the telling was true?"

Humming a note, Mum looked up at the ceiling. "A good portion of it. I did follow Wilhelm to Bohemia after we met. Even though I knew doing so would mean giving up everything I'd worked for in my career. I thought he loved me and he saw me as his equal."

"But he didn't." I could well believe why Mum would have believed that. She came from America, where class ranks were not so strictly adhered to.

"Not enough, and I'd begun to suspect as much. Especially after our marriage." She grimaced as she said the word. "He kept saying the moment wasn't right to tell his family; that I should remain in the country."

Mum heaved a sigh. "And then, when his father died unexpectedly, talk of the prince's marriage to the princess began. I knew then what a fool I had been. I confronted Wilhelm when he came to visit and he had the audacity to say I should be grateful to be his mistress while he secured an ally for Bohemia."