26 ; truth or dare

Start from the beginning

"Dare," Toph said, looking at Aang.

"Oh, uhm," He looked nervous, glancing at the door before he said, "I dare you to throw a rock at the neighbor's window."

Toph stood up and slammed her foot onto the ground, and a small pebble flew from the street and hit the second story window of their neighbor. Aang hoped it hadn't cracked.

"Wow," Zuko said. "Well?"

"Dare..." Aang said. "Nothing illegal."

"Shit, I'm not very good at coming up with these things," He said, running a hand through his hair. "How about you climb up on the roof?"

"Easy," Aang laughed, standing up and walking to his window.

Zuko watched as he unlatched it, slid it up silently, and stepped out onto the small bit of roofing below his window. Aang didn't seem nervous, he was the avatar after all. After a minute, Aang came back inside, nothing changed except his hair was a bit messy because of the wind.

"You should've told him to shout penis," Toph giggled.

Zuko punched her shoulder lightly, huffing a laugh. "This game is stupid."

"One more round and we can do something else," Aang said as he locked his window back. "Truth or dare? Toph, your go."

Zuko stared her down, carefully trying to read her expression. Toph stared (?) right back, kind of, and gave no sign of any emotions as to what she might have planned.

"I know you're looking at me," Toph smiled. "Just choose one."

"....Truth," Zuko said slowly.

"Do you like Aang?" She asked.

Zuko felt the blood drain from his face, and if felt like there was barbed wire closing his throat. He looked at Aang, but he was just staring at him, as if waiting for an answer.

"Toph, you're an asshole!" Zuko said, blushing furiously. "That's against the rules!"

"Uhhhh, no?" She smirked. "There's no rules, so stop avoiding the question."

Aang didn't intervene. There was an internal conflict, wanting to spare his bestfriend of possible embarrassment. Knowing Zuko, he probably would shut himself off from other people after this, but Aang wanted to be selfish, just this one time. So he stayed silent.

"Pass," Zuko closed his eyes, scrunching his nose and crossing his arms. "That's in the rules. One pass per person."

Toph groaned and fell onto her back. "Whatever."

Aang tapped his fingers together and looked into his lap. Zuko could feel the heat beneath his skin slowly dissipate as the night went on, Aang doing Toph's homework for her for most of it.

Zuko drew all over his mathpaper, watching his friends. He hadn't even noticed he was sketching until Aang asked what he was drawing.

"Oh," Zuko glanced down, and saw the familiar faces of his two friends. "Nothing interesting..."

Toph yawned. Aang stopped braiding her hair and touched her shoulder, something Zuko noticed he did often. They seemed to just understand what these small movements meant, and soon, Toph was laying on the couch, asleep.

Aang smiled at Zuko as he walked past him to the chair. "Turn off the light when you're done, yeah?"

Zuko looked down at the math page and picked up his pencil. "Yeah."

Aang woke up first, stretching his arms and legs out of the cramped space of the chair. His neck ached from his uncomfortable position.

He walked past Zuko, who had fallen asleep on the floor, his mathbook spread on his stomach. Aang picked up the book and glanced at the drawings.

Toph and himself covered the page, and Aang couldn't help but notice how good they were. He thought Zuko hadn't practiced since his mother died, but it was obviously a lie. He shut the book and set it next to him, and then turned off the lamp to let the natural light brighten the room.

Aang passed Toph, splayed across the couch and snoring softly. Then, stopped at the door, he looked back at Zuko.

He looked peaceful, head turned slightly so that his hair spread softly across the carpet, his mouth slightly open as he breathed slowly. Aang felt blush spread across his cheeks, leaning against the doorframe. He wanted to tell him about his feelings, which he couldn't really describe to himself at this point.

But he wanted to, and this was one thing he could do.

ahahah next chapter be like 💔

anyways i hope yall enjoyed :D