Chapter Four

Honestly not really happy with this chapter because it was hard to write, kind of I guess...? Anyway, I hope you enjoy it more than I did since I really didn't, lol.  Better chapters are to come, that's a promise. (:

Enjoy!! xoxo

“It is said that late last night around nine thirty Suffolk Police Department was called to Greene Country Club out in Southold after a witness reportedly noticed a fire blazing inside through a broken back window,” Sandra Palmer’s voice booms through the kitchen from the living room TV.

I stand in front of the refrigerator, my bag hanging in my left hand, a bottle of orange juice in my right, my body unmoving as I listen.

“Officer Sabastian Decker, first to arrive, told our reporter Erin Wallis late last night that judging by the lack of evidence left behind, this attack, in fact is a part of the chain of attacks that have been randomly occurring over the past six months,” she clears her throat and shuffles her papers, “no word has been given on who the perpetrator can possibly be, but Suffolk Police Department has made it clear that they will not stop this investigation until they come up with an answer.”

I let out a slow breath as I turn on my heel and walk into the dining room where my mother sits with two officers scanning over possible evidence, just like she’s done for every other attack.

“Good morning, sweetheart,” she says glancing up from the photos spread across the table quickly at me, a warm sense of love radiating from her eyes.

I ignore the stab of guilt in my chest as I take a seat across from her, tearing the plastic wrapper from the cap of my orange juice bottle and opening it.

“Good morning, Ms. Greene,” Officer Decker, who Sandra Palmer had spoken about, says with a slight nod.

I raise an eyebrow in his direction, a small smile playing at my lips.  “I know you how long, Sabastian, and you still can’t call me by my first name?”

A small glint of humor sparks in the eyes of my brother’s best friend from High School.  “Do you need a ride to school, Kadence?”  He draws out with a smirk.

I roll my eyes and take a drink from my bottle. 

“I wouldn’t be caught dead driving to school in a cop car,” I say with a slight laugh.

 It would just give everyone more shit to talk about, in think to myself.

The smile falls from my lips as I remember the breaking new from last night.  If he does show up today, I wouldn’t want Triton to think I’m against him by pulling up in a cop car, escorted by the police themselves.

“Why is that?”  I hear his voice take on a suspicious tone.

My eyes shoot up from the dark hard wood surface of the table and connect with Sabastian’s.  He gives me an odd look, his eyes pale blue eyes quickly glancing in the direction of the older Officer whose face holds a similar expression.

“Kadence,” my mom says quietly, “are you alright?  Do you need to take a day off?  I can call the school if you-.”

“No, thanks,” I say hurriedly, “I better get going.  I have to pick up Gemma.  I told her I’d stop at Starbucks on the way to school.”  That was a lie, a pathetic one, but I needed a way to leave.

I mentally slap myself in the back of the head for being as stupid as too accidently mention Triton out loud.

“I’ll see you later,” I call over my shoulder as I tug my black leather jacket tight around my waist, shifting my military green Prada Saffiano Leather Tote onto my shoulder.