Spider-Boy

"Hiya Peter."

Peter jumped. It was probably because I was standing in the shadows, my face covered in darkness waiting for him to return to the alley he left his backpack in. It was careless, leaving it in such a public place while he did, well, whatever 16 year old superheroes did.

"You're...you're not meant to be here," he stuttered, holding his mask close to his chest.

"Neither are you. And yet, here we are." I waved a nonchalant hand in the air. I stepped out from the shadows. He cowered, only a tiny bit. He was trying to keep his ground. How familiar was that look in his eyes.

Fear.

"Oh don't be a baby, I'm not here to beat you up or anything. I just wanna talk." I picked up his backpack and threw it to him. He caught it with ease. His eyes were wide, but he quickly ducked behind a dumpster to change.

"Why do you wanna talk to me?" He asked, voice trembling only slightly.

"What? Are friends not allowed to talk to each other?" I popped a bubble with my gum. My head itched under the dark wig. I traced a cold finger across my necklace.

"We're not friends," Peter appeared from behind the dumpster, dressed in the most adorable blue sweater and checkered shirt. I almost smiled.

"Anyone who has the guts to try and fight me, has earnt the right to be my friend. Unless you're evil, or something. Then I'd have to kill you." I nodded at the pile of computer junk up against the dumpster. "That yours too?"

Peter nodded. I scooped it up in one armful. "Let me carry it for you."

He blinked fast, and slung his backpack over his shoulder.

"What are you doing in New York? Aren't you like, a fugitive or something?" Peter asked, looking up at me for a split second. I shrugged.

"Well, Steve, Sam and Natasha are fugitives. I'm something else. Technically, I have diplomatic immunity as a member of the Royal family of Wakanda but, somehow I don't think that will stop anyone from capturing me on sight. So, yeah, I'm a fugitive."

We walked the busy streets of Queens and blended into the crowd. I moved like everyone else, staying close to Peter like I was his big sister. People were often oblivious, actually, they were always oblivious, and that's why it was so easy to pretend to be one of them.

To pretend to be normal.

"But what am I doing in New York? I actually just watched that Broadway musical, 'Hamilton'. You should see it. It was heart-breaking. I cried real tears." I laughed softly, trying to lighten to mood, or maybe just let Peter know I wasn't going to hurt him. Peter chuckled nervously.

"If you came to see the musical, why are you here with me?"

I sighed.

"Ah, well. Peter the truth of the matter is I like you. I find you very interesting. Not only did you attempt to fight me, you also fought Captain America, The Winter Soldier and Falcon. And you're what, 14?"

"16," he mumbled.

"14, 16, same difference. Anway, you're brave. Smart. Calm in the face of danger. You have a great sense of humour, which is always important. I mean, you're all geared up to be a pretty incredible Avenger." I looked sideways at him. He was smiling.

"You think so? Because Mr Stark says I'm still too young and irresponsible to be an Avenger, and I do like looking after the little guy, you know, but sometimes I wish I could do the big stuff I mean that would be so cool!" He glanced up at me as he rambled. I smiled and ruffled his hair with my free hand.

"Yeah, you're just like me, I reckon. Not as good looking, but you're willing to do what's right. That counts for something." Peter looked down, red spreading across his cheeks.

We didn't talk for a few minutes, just navigated the crowd towards his apartment.

"In Germany, you said something, and I've been thinking about it. A lot, actually. You gave me advice, and you said 'Don't be like me'. What did you mean? Because you're like, awesome and I kinda do wanna be like you." Peter looked up at me shyly, heaving his backpack over his small shoulders. I looked down, watching my boots scuff the pavement.

"Like I said, we're similar. We're both hiding our identity. From our friends. Our family. I just meant don't make the same mistakes I did. Don't let the lies get too far, go too deep." I sighed, a dull ache starting in my temples. "People have agendas, Peter. People are always going to want something from you, and you have to decide whats best for you. But don't ever make the mistake of thinking you're alone. Because you're not. Tony, Happy, even me, we're only a phone call away."

We stopped outside his apartment block. Peter looked at me, his eyes so kind, so young.

"You're not alone either. I can help, if you ever need someone to fix your computer or, like, explain the multiverse theory to you." He grinned and then raised his eyebrows in confusion and alarm. "Wait, how did you know where I lived?" He exclaimed, startled.

I placed the computer parts in his small arms and patted his head.

"I have a friend in the network, as it were. You'd like her. I'll introduce you." I turned and started to walk away, my EMP beads buzzing with an incoming call.

"Keight, wait!" Peter called out and I turned around, my sunglasses tipping off my nose.

"When you say, the network, you don't mean like...?" He spun one hand in the air as computer parts tumbled to the ground. I smirked.

"Yes, Peter. I mean every network." 

Authors Note

Spiderman interaction! I always planned for Keight to be like a big sister/fun aunt figure for Peter so lets see where it goes!

Sorry for sporadic updates again, but i only have 3 weeks left of uni for the year and then its all focusing on writing!

Comment, let me know how you're doing.

Stay groovy,

~JJ