Letters In The Chimney

It was dark in the closet upstairs in Dudley's toy room. Where Hattie lay asleep. A cold breeze swept the door open, waking the girl lying inside.

"Good morning Hattie." The girl whispered to herself. Pulling her sheet-thin blanket off of her. She stood and found a pair of leggings, along with an old dress and a sweater to go over. All her Aunt Petunia's old rejected clothes. She pulled on a pair of thrift store boots that were basically falling apart. Smiling as she smoothed her clothes out. She approached the bathroom quietly, brushing her perfect teeth. Her dark brown eyes stared back at her, her father's eyes. Her curly black hair fell messily around her shoulders, which she brushed thoroughly.

"HARRY GET UP AND COOK BREAKFAST, AND GET THAT WRETCHED SISTER OF YOURS!" Petunia yelled, knocking furiously on Harry's cupboard door. Hattie silently went down the stairs, giving her brother a smile as he opened his door, which Dudley immediately pushed closed, shoving Hattie down to the floor after. Hattie didn't say a word, just got up.

"Coffee, Uncle?" She asked, approaching his cup.

"Yes." Uncle Vernon said, his red face smugly smiling down at the girl. She filled his cup and set the coffee pot back on the maker. She pulled the sausage and such from the fridge just as Harry entered with the mail. He handed a letter to Hattie and had one himself.

Hattie R. Potter

Number 4 Privet Drive

The Upstairs Closet

"GIVE ME THOSE!" Uncle Vernon yelled, snatching both letters from the twins. Apparently Dudley had said something, Hattie hadn't been paying attention. Harry began to argue, but Hattie turned to breakfast, continuing cooking. She was no longer hungry. She couldn't get her mind off the letter. And the ones that continued to come.

Time Skip To Sunday

Hattie stood in the kitchen with Harry. Petunia had baked cookies and the twins were responsible for distributing them to Vernon and Dudley. They took the plates, Harry to Vernon and Hattie to Dudley. Letting them take cookies. Vernon said something Hattie didn't hear.

"Because there's no mail on Sundays." Harry replied. Vernon had been burning and shredding the letters that continued to come for the twins. He'd even blocked the mail slot. But as the two talked, a letter flew in from the chimney. And another, and then, tons. Letters filled the room, Harry jumped on the table and tried to catch them. Hattie dropped her cookies on Dudley as he jumped up to hide in the hall with Petunia.

"DADDY'S GONE MAD HASN'T HE?" Dudley yelled from the hall. Hattie attempted to catch a letter from where she stood. One flew by her face, cutting her cheek open. Along with her arm. She didn't care. She grabbed a letter and shoved it in her dress. Running out of the room as Harry continued. Petunia yanked her by her wrist.

"I don't think so!" She yelled, grabbing the letter from inside Hattie's dress and practically dragging the girl upstairs, tossing her in the closet and tying a rope around the handles so it couldn't be opened, then locking the door of the toy room as an extra precaution. A single tear slid from the girl's eye.

"Harry... I hope Uncle Vernon doesn't hurt you. We'll be okay Harry. I promise. They can't keep us here after 18. Only a few more years Harry." Hattie whispered, knowing her brother couldn't hear her she said it anyways. Harry and Hattie were very different from each other. They had different eyes, and Harry loved their parents, he idolized them. Hattie hated them, she hated them because they left Harry and her alone here with the Dursleys.

"Poor little Hattie. Are you crying? What no mummy to come save you?" Dudley said, entering the toy room. He had a key. Hattie ignored him.

"Pack your things, we're going on a trip. All of you." Petunia said from the door, ignoring that her son was cruel to her niece. Hattie complied, packing a small bag with the few things she had. She waited patiently until Aunt Petunia came back and untied the rope from the door of Hattie's closet. And they went down to the car.