1. Highway To Hell

Can a person really say how much they hate school? No, they can't express their hatred enough because school sucked. It was a repeated pattern of endless work and lectures. It might of been nice, the whole school thing, if I cared. But I didn't care for it. You know what was nice though? Sleep. It was repetitive too but at least your dreams altered and I loved how you would wake up and suddenly forget the best dream you ever had. It was an endless pattern of unconsciousness.

So, like every repetitive school day, I woke up, and forgot the dream I had. But when I looked at the clock I saw the time... eight ten. Wait a minute, didn't school start at eight thirty? I pulled two and two together and jumped out of my bed.

"Shit!" I yelled whilst trying to fit into a pair of jeans. I collapsed when I started walking with the jeans still only at my knees. "Ow!" I moaned but I got up again unwillingly.

This wasn't normal, to be late, on the first day of year thirteen, your last ever year of school. Of course, I couldn't wait for school to end but my teachers would be raging about this. Let me correct that, my form teacher would. We had registration for half an hour and then we could head off to period one, which was art. Taking Art, Drama and Music had its perks. First off, all the teachers were super laid back and creative so they didn't care if you were late, unlike form teachers who threaten you with a late detention. Secondly, who doesn't love creativity? If I'm ending up in a university it has to be something to do with the arts otherwise I'm just not going to uni. Simple as that.

I leave my mum a note saying I left. She was definitely sleeping, her café opened up at ten so she could sleep in every day. Lucky her. The roads of London were fairly empty today, I took that as a surprise because it was rush hour, and you could barely get any where in rush hour. At the age of seventeen, you're allowed to get a motorcycle licence so I didn't go anywhere with a bus anymore. Was I scared of death? No. But that's a topic that I might get into another time.

I rode my motorbike straight into the school gardens, not even caring about the no motorcycles on the bicycle parking area rule. It was already eight fifty, I was late, extremely late. I ran to my room, which was two staircases up the building. I was so restless that I crashed into the room. Every eye was on me so I didn't look at the students, only at my teacher, Ms Laftsbury.

"You're late." As if I didn't know? I was panting heavily, at least she could give me some credit for the effort?

"Oh, I know."

"Care to explain why?" I wasn't giving a crappy excuse this time. So I shrugged my shoulders and said,

"I love sleep way too much to sit down for half an hour just to say yes to a register." The whole class cheered me on until Ms Laftsbury shushed everyone.

"Well, that is a late detention for you, Ms Greenway."

"Okay, it's not like I had anything better to do, on which morning was that, miss?" Her nostrils started flaring, she was angry. I hated rebelling, most of the time. But it was my only coping strategy.

"Thursday." I nodded and started walking to the back and then stopped. A boy had already taken the seat that was mine last year. I didn't even need to look at him to hate him. How dare he take my seat? The back seat belonged to me, literally, I carved my name in the back of the chair and table. He was a brunette but I couldn't see his face. I would work it out later and plan revenge, he deserved it.

The only other seat available was the front middle, I rolled my eyes but sat there. Ms Laftsbury smiled at me,
"That will also be your new seat for the year. I hope you enjoy year thirteen." I fake smiled at her. Damn it. She had won this week's battle.

It's not as if I wasn't bad at school. My grades were perfect, I just acted like I didn't care. Maybe it was because I didn't care about anything. But I didn't like to think of that because I couldn't think like that. Lunch time came quickly as I only had Art, we had a lot of free periods in sixth form. It wasn't long before Carly found me reading A Contemplation of Death and Life underneath the football stadium benches. We were one of the only British schools who had these type of fields. The school trying to link us with American's I guess. I didn't complain though, if anything was great about this school it was here. Every little detail drew me into this small little alcove. The fact that light seeped through the holes in the benches, the little wild flowers growing in the corners where the stands were. The shadow, it was my favourite of them all, it was as if you could hide from anyone you needed.

"There you are," Carly said as she sat underneath the benches too. Obviously she wasn't surprised to see me here, because I was here every lunch. School was repetitive, and some people had to get over that.

"Here I am."

"Did you see the new boy? His name is Louis."

"Carly, I love you so much. But I really can't deal with another one of your obsessions over a new boy." Carly got obsessed with people very easily. Let's just say it wasn't the healthiest thing. Because of this, she would have a new boyfriend every three weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if she dated him for a month, get bored, and dump him for the new it boy.

She shrugged and said, "your loss because he was totally staring at you after your big entrance in the morning."

"Great. At least someone got the message. Ms Laftsbury still hasn't, though." I put the book down and stared at my best friend. I didn't know why she was my best friend because besides me she hung out with the popular group. She could easily ditch me but she doesn't. I guess it's all about character, one that I don't have.

"Ava, I'm worried about you." Carly said simply. "It's been two years and you still push people away and don't seem to care much about anything..."

"I do care." I said, trying to convince myself about that one, too.
"Name me one thing you care about."
I tapped at me book. "Reading, music, art, my mum and you. There, see I do care about things." She stared at me and sighed. "Listen, I'm fine. Honestly. Plus, once I'm out of school, I'll be on the highway to hell within days." She rolled my eyes and I laughed. Okay, maybe my humour was tragic. But one day someone will understand it,

I think.

The song that inspired this chapter is Highway To Hell, by AC/DC
That was the end of the chapter. It was a bit short but the next one will be much longer- and Louis will actually be in it this time- I promise! Please vote and comment if you liked the story- not much has happened yet but it's fine vote anyway.

So I love eighties songs, and that is why I'm giving that characteristic to Ava too. So on every chapter the chapter title will be the song that I relate or based off of the chapter. Also, I am British and live in London but I understand if some of you don't know what A-levels are. They are basically four subjects you pick for university. ❤️❤️❤️

Anyways, I'll be updating tomorrow- I think 😂
Xoxo -BrooksAreGreen