"And?"

"...He hit me."

"Where?" Eleanor leaned forward and looked at her sister seriously. Fleurette rubbed her lip, make up smeared and got removed and there was a thin line of red on her bottom lip. Her lip had ungracefully scabbed up. "Honestly," Eleanor sighed heavily and crossed her arms. She looked around and frowned angrily. "Do not go."

"Excuse me?"

"The next time one of these utterly ridiculous meetings crops up, do not go."

"He will be very angry."

"I am not allowing you, my little sister, to be subjected to these pointless meetings. It is humouring the old man and paining you greatly." Eleanor smiled and reached across the table and grabbed a hold of her hands. "You will love who you love and you will know when you find him. Now," she patted her hands and sat normally again. "Who is this mystery person who you have offended?" Eleanor asked in a suspicious yet light hearted tone.

"Well," Fleurette started, Eleanor's interested gaze just deepened and looked at her. "We were talking and it was good. Great even!"

"You sound like you enjoy talking to this person greatly. This information shocks me slightly considering how silent you can be around people." Eleanor said simply, Fleurette narrowed her eyes at her and shrugged.

"I do," she smiled and put her hands in her lap and twiddled her fingers again. Eleanor smiled too happy to see her younger sister had found someone she enjoyed talking to. "But like...have you ever had a conversation with someone and then you say something and they change?"

"Yes."

"When?"

"It happens a lot when I'm talking to you."

"Hey!" Fleurette exclaimed, Eleanor grinned and laughed. Shaking her head Fleurette tapped her feet on the floor. "I'll give you that one."

"It's clear you're not going to give me too much detail. So as brief as you can describe to me this conversation which you seemed to offend your secret friend with."

"I was talking about a place and how most people looked glum. They looked...confused yet...a little saddened. Then I moved on to talk about some friends and how two were extremely happy because they were married and all that." Fleurette said, Eleanor didn't need to wholly know she was bending the truth slightly.

"And?"

"They looked even more sad." Fleurette stared off into space with a sad look in her eyes too. "And possibly a little bitter...not bitter, but a little heartbroken." Fleurette's eyes flicked slowly to look into her sister's blue ones. Eleanor nodded for her to continue. "I thought I was just being annoying. You know how I can get when I talk loads and don't stop."

"Admittedly yes I do, those times rarely happen. But when you get on a roll with talking and don't stop you can be highly annoying. No offence, love."

"None taken." Fleurette smiled, "And then they left in a rush."

"You seem sad by your friend suddenly leaving."

"I was because I felt like I was at fault. Like...they had to leave because I had said something utterly stupid and couldn't see what. I still can't! Why do I feel guilty for something I don't actually understand?"

Eleanor sat in thought and nodded slowly. "Possibly because firstly your friend didn't agree with you saying everyone looked glum. Maybe what you see as glum, your friend sees as something else? Remember, Fleurette everyone sees things differently." Eleanor paused, "Secondly maybe one of these two people who you mentioned were happy, he knew them? Maybe he had something similar to what they had and lost it? That would make anyone heartbroken." Eleanor drunk some of her water and suddenly jumped. "Oh my gosh or!" She waved her hands at Fleurette.

"Yes?"

"I think I've read too many of those novels of mothers," Eleanor said quietly while leaning closer. "One or possibly both of the people you mentioned...say if one was male...what if, and this is going to sound like a novel plot I know it! But...what if your friend, loved him?" Eleanor tilted her head to the side in a thoughtful manor. "She loved him and he was with someone else?" Eleanor wiped an imaginary tear from her eye. "That's so sad! It sounds so much like a novel plot...perhaps a book of mothers is similar to this that's why the thought crossed my mind. That would definitely make someone heartbroken and upset don't you think?"

"Mmhm," Fleurette nodded slowly sitting processing her sisters ramble. She put a hand to her mouth and sat in thought while her sister took to rambling about something else from her evening out with Felix. Eleanor must have thought Fleurette was listening, although she wasn't. Fleurette had picked apart her sisters words, it was a little funny that she thought of her making a female friend was more obvious. Although it was the other way around, it was this line of thought which caused her to realise; it's not my sister so it's Christine.

With this thought, Fleurette's green eyes flicked up from the table and sought out the brunette. Her eyes landed on her and she looked away to her sister who waved a hand in front of her eyes. "I may as well be talking to a brick wall."

"Sorry." Fleurette smiled slowly and honestly.

"I don't know what to do with you really. You're a very peculiar lady, Fleurette. You may as well hear those words first from your sister."

——

"Are you alright?" Fleurette looked up to her sister.

"Are you?" Eleanor asked in return worriedly when her sister just looked at her.

"Yes, it just feels strange."

"I have to admit dress rehearsals always feel strange." Eleanor smiled and looked at herself. She wriggled her ballet shoes and went on pointe quickly and stood normally again. "New shoes, these are such a pain."

"Mine are reasonably new. I keep breaking them in." Fleurette said while running her hand over her outfit. It was a green blue colour and sparkled in the light. All in all; she loved it. The skirt billowed when she had to twirl, everything about this outfit she loved. Fleurette felt a little sad when they had been told to take them off straight after rehearsals.

Running onto stage after her sister she commenced doing the routine which she'd spent the last few days having drummed into her head. It was strange to think that the first day all the dancers were darting here, there and everywhere. Not really having much direction, yet after a few days of hard practising they all worked brilliantly together. Each had their own piece to bring and play out in the routine. The only thing was it was over with so quickly.

"Well done," Madame Giry said while they ran off and another act took over the stage. "Go rest up for tomorrow and please do not get the costumes dirty!" She exclaimed yet all the dancers were too busy chatting to each other to listen.

"First show tomorrow, little flower. How does that feel?"

"Strange. I mean, stranger." Fleurette smiled at Eleanor who nodded agreeing and reached up to take her hair out. She watched her sister walk awkwardly off to get changed, her ballet shoes were clearly causing her a lot of pain.

——

Reedited: 7/Jan/2022