She got off at the bus stop, and Rong Heng followed suit. She knew that he lived nearby.

There was a middle-aged man selling roasted sweet potatoes next to the bus stop, repeatedly announcing into the megaphone “Roasted sweet potatoes, savory and sweet roasted sweet potatoes.” With such cold weather, the roasted sweet potato business was good. Song Yuan, unwilling to owe others, said to Rong Heng, “Um, please wait a minute.”

Saying this, she jogged over to the sweet potato stand and asked the shopkeeper to choose a sweet potato that was roasted to the point that it dripped with honey.

The sweet potato was wrapped in a paper bag. It was still warm, and you could catch a faint whiff of the sweet aroma.

She smiled and handed him the sweet potato. “This is for you. Thank you for the apple, and Merry Christmas Eve!”

Rong Heng looked dazed. It was unknown what he thought of, but he laughed.

His temperament was really strange. When Song Yuan first met him, she had only thought that this person’s aura was strong and that he even had a dignified and restrained bearing. After a few interactions, it seemed that her impression that day had just been an illusion. He was clearly clean and gentle, just like the warm sun in winter.

He seemed to be quite happy. The corners of his lips were raised slightly. “Thank you.”

“It’s nothing.” Song Yuan waved her hand, revealing dimples as she smiled. “Then goodbye. The child is still waiting for me at home.”

En, goodbye.”

Song Yuan remembered that tomorrow was Christmas and a holiday and was in a relaxed and happy mood. She walked with a brisk pace. Even if you didn’t know her, you could see she was in a good mood.

Rong Heng watched her leave, then looked down at the sweet potato in his hand.

After she’d left, he hadn’t dared to stir up the past or reminisce. It was only now, when she had shown up in his world once again, when he dared to miss the past a bit.

That year had also had heavy snowfall. He had been in the palace, with no intentions to go out, but when he saw the palace maid brewing tea, he remembered she had once said that her favorite line of poetry was “The night for snow doth pine/Care to drink, friend of mine?5“

Truthfully, at that time, he had been drawn to her because she had his good friend and the general’s estate supporting her. He hadn’t had any intention of crowning her as his empress after ascending the throne–her background was not fitting for such a position. His plan had been to first accept her as his ce fei6. If the general’s estate provided truly valuable assistance, he could make her a noble consort7 as a show of favor.

That day, he left the palace–using his good friend as an excuse, of course.

He and his friend sat in the pavilion, and his friend ordered the servant to boil some wine. The land was shrouded in white, and the pavilion was warm and quite pleasant.

He saw her coming from the bridge, wearing a red cloak. Amongst the vast white, there was only this spot of red.

She approached with a smile and had the servant girl behind her pass on the sweet potatoes.