The Bangs Incident

You shuffled toward the Company 7 building. For once you hoped not to see Benimaru. Perhaps there was a chance that he was at the guard tower.

You parted the curtains at the entrance and partially stepped through the entryway. You didn't see anyone and decided to call out. "Hello?"

Still no response.

You debated about going back to the 8th and coming back later. The major cons were that Hinawa wouldn't be happy with that and you already struggled with Arthur just to borrow Silver's hat once.

"You know that you can enter, right?" Benimaru's voice came from behind you.

You jumped at his voice and attempted to turn around to look at him while taking steps backwards into the building. In your flurry of movements, the horns on the hat on your head got caught in the curtains and you lost your balance. You fell on the ground and immediately slapped a hand to your forehead.

Benimaru untangled the hat and read the text on its front. "Moosifer?" He crossed the threshold and extended a hand towards you.

"Thanks." You took his hand while avoiding his gaze. You extended the bag to him. "This is your delivery."

"Why are you hiding your forehead?" He took a step toward you and you took a step backwards. This awkward shuffle continued until you backed up against a wall. "Why are you acting so weird?" A hint of annoyance seeped into his voice. He reached for the hand that covered your forehead.

"It's just a bad haircut," you admitted. "I tried to cut my bangs and it went badly. The hair stylist I normally go to is away for a week and I didn't want you to see it in the meantime."

Benimaru sighed and motioned for you to follow him. "Come with me."

After silently following him through the building, you stopped in front of a door to a room.

He opened the door. "This is my room."

You tried to survey the room without making it extremely obvious. The room was overall plain. It had a neatly made futon on one side and a short table and a few floor cushions on the other side. A sake bottle and an accompanying cup sat on the table.

"Come in." Benimaru shut the door behind you.

You remained by the door, not sure of what to do with yourself.

"You can sit anywhere you want."

You chose to sit on the floor cushion that was closest to the door. You eyed Benimaru's futon as he searched in his closet. After he found what he was looking for, he sat down in front of you.

"I was hoping to give you this under different circumstances." He presented you with a rectangular wooden box and opened it to reveal a cherry blossom hair clip. "You can clip your bangs back with this." He glanced at your hand that still covered your forehead. "Will you let me see it now?"

You lowered your hand while tears bubbled up and threatened to overflow onto your cheeks.

"What's wrong?" Benimaru asked. "You can put the hat back on if you want. You don't have to use the clip."

You shook your head as you blinked the tears away. "It's not that." You let out a big sniffle. "The pin is lovely."

"Would you like me to put it on? There aren't any mirrors in this room."

"That would be nice." You sat still as Benimaru parted your bangs to the side. You felt how careful he was through his gentle motions.

He pulled back and smiled at you. "It looks good on you."

"Thank you, Captain Shinmon." A light pink, much like the shade of the clip, appeared on your cheeks.

"You can call me Benimaru."

You took in his soft smile and felt your heart warm. "Okay, Benimaru."

------

You reentered the Special Fire Cathedral 8 and shut the door behind you. You smiled to yourself.

Arthur walked by and waved to you. "Ah, your bangs no longer look like a barcode."