Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

“May I really have two riding habits, Miranda?” Kate asked as she squirmed restlessly at the table.

“Do hush and finish your eggs, Kate,” Hero reprimanded the child, patting the seat of Kate’s chair as an indication that she should sit upon it. “You shall have what the duke provides you and count yourself lucky.”

Miranda glanced nervously at the doorway, grateful that Simon had not yet come down to breakfast with them. After yesterday’s swift changes in his attitude, she found her sisters’ chatter distracting. He had touched her, kissed her — and then turned cold, practically snarling as he announced that his mother’s guest would be staying.

What had changed his mood? Her sisters? The dowager’s guest? And could she do anything to improve it? She certainly intended to try, if only she could be certain that she would not cause him harm.

She had confessed the truth of her virgin state to Katherine this morning and had since been consumed by a single notion. The notion, which seemed to have taken root in her imagination, of deliberately seducing her own husband. Katherine didn’t seem to think making love could do him physical harm. But she had warned her in no uncertain terms that a man’s fear could be his worst enemy when it came to lovemaking. Seduction could make things worse. Or mend them and give Simon hope for the future.

She caught Hero’s worried gaze and realized that some of her turmoil must be showing in her expression. No one else seemed to have noticed, though; they were all distracted by each other, the excitement of being in a new and different environment, and the thought of more clothes than they had ever had in their lives.

She smiled at her sister, and Hero smiled back, partially reassured, although Miranda knew she would be on the receiving end of Hero’s questions as soon as they had some privacy. Thank goodness for her sister’s discretion, she reflected with relief a few moments later when Simon entered the breakfast room.

“Good morning.” His voice was calm and carrying, the voice of an officer, striving to gain the attention of his men. The chatter quieted at once, and a soft round of greetings met him as he helped himself to smoked salmon and buttered bread and sat down beside Miranda.

He seemed in a better mood this morning, but who knew when his mood might change for the worse? Worrying about him made her feel as if she were sitting on pins and needles. It was fortunate that there was no one else but Hero who might notice and question her distress. The dowager and her guest had breakfasted earlier and left for a ride about the estates.

Though she forced herself to smile at him as if nothing was amiss, she was not certain that her performance was flawless.

Before normal conversation could resume, Arthur entered the room. He stopped a moment upon the doorsill. There was a shocked expression on his face as he took in the very female, very youthful nature of the other occupants. He had been away until very late yesterday, in pursuit of an old book he had heard of in a neighboring town. Miranda could not help smiling at his expression.

“May I introduce you to my wife’s sisters, Arthur?”

Simon’s voice held a hint of amusement. Miranda glanced at him obliquely, not wanting to catch his eye. There was no smile on his face, he seemed utterly earnest in his introductions.

As he took in the names of the five new faces, Arthur was his usual shy yet charming self. “How very fortunate I am to be in the company of six such lovely ladies,” he stammered, and then recovered. He smiled at Simon, as if making contact with the one person in the room he understood. “I had no idea how very lively a room could be made by so much feminine company.”