Chapter Eighteen: The City Below

"I'm tired," you complained. "We've been running around the whole city, and it's almost dark."

Mitsuo had taken you to some place for breakfast, then to a bunch of famous places in the city. Throughout the whole time, he insisted on taking selfies, reminding you of Honey Lemon back home. Now, after some dinner, he dragged you to someplace else. You were surprised he didn't murder you yet.

"The Empire State Building? What's so special about that? I see it everyday," you said, eyeing the building you were approaching.

"Just you wait," the teen smiled, pulling you into the vast lobby. 

"I still don't see why this is going to be cool," you grumbled, following him into the elevator. You noticed Mitsuo press a button to go to the top of the building.

Another uneasy silence settled over you as the elevator rose steadily. Not another elevator moment, you thought with dread, keeping a safe distance from the boy to make sure he didn't try to pull another move.

When the elevator doors opened, the cold wind hit your face, and you saw the sky, completely dark. "Hey, it's night time already," you said. "But why-" 

Mitsuo stepped behind you and covered your eyes with his hands. "Now, step forward."

"You sure you're not going to push me off? We're at the highest." You felt uncomfortable, since he was standing right behind you and his hands were on your face.

Mitsuo laughed. "I promise I won't. If you fall off yourself, I'll jump after you."

"Right," you muttered, but you took a hesitant step forward, feeling for solid ground. 

"Walk faster."

"I'm trying!" You picked up your pace slightly, and then suddenly Mitsuo pulled his hands away. You were faced with a huge stretch of buildings, twinkling merrily below you. Some bolder, brighter neon signs flashed. It was like the sky had dumped a huge bucketful of stars down onto Earth. Beyond it was a churning, dark sea, and you could see small specks that you assumed were boats.

"Wow," you breathed. "I never see this from my apartment window." Your hands gripped the cold railing as another gust of cold wind blew into your face. You gazed at the sight beneath you, then glanced to your right.

Mitsuo had his hands in his pockets, and he was staring at the city too. Wind blew his white bangs out of his eyes, revealing his troubled face. 

"Something wrong?" you asked after a moment. He glanced at you. "Huh?"

You fidgeted. "You just look like someone died."

He laughed uneasily. "I'm fine. Don't worry about me." He patted your head again, taking advantage of the fact you were a little shorter than him.

You grabbed his wrist, about to push his hand away, when his jacket sleeve fell down. You stared at the scarlet line tracing down his forearm, dark against his pale skin. "You did get hurt," you said, looking up at his face. "I thought you said you didn't."

Mitsuo blinked sadly down at his arm, silent.

"Are you sure you're okay?" you pressed, clutching his wrist tighter. You were pretty sure he couldn't feel his hand anymore, but he was quiet.

Mitsuo wrenched his hand free, and turned back to the city. He stared down at his shoes. You watched him for a moment then realized teardrops were falling to the cement, leaving dark circles between his shoes.

Bewildered, you looked up at Mitsuo. He had his eyes squeezed shut and his teeth were clenched behind his trembling lips. A shiny tear slipped down his face.

Hah! I guess Mr. Rough and Tough isn't so hard after all. You blinked at him, wondering whether to comfort him or back away slowly. "Uh. . . you okay?"

Mitsuo opened his eyes, then fixed his intense brown gaze on your face. "Sorry. I just. . . " You watched him wipe off his face then blinked at you with a hard look. All traces of tears were gone. Even the red circles around his eyes were gone. He was back to old Mitsuo. 

"Do you want to talk about it?" you finally asked. He shook his head numbly, then turned back to the city. 

"Why do you even care?" Mitsuo mumbled after a moment. 

"Huh?"

"I'm so mean to you all the time. Don't you hate me or something? I always pat your head and do stupid things yet you let me drag you around."

"I don't hate you."

Before Mitsuo could respond, a loud roar filled your ears. You looked up to see a plane, blinking lights rapidly, sailing down towards you. It passed the two of you loudly, heading for the airport nearby.

* * *