Not Okay

Someone on tumblr requested something like this and I've been putting it off for a while. So now it's angst time motherfuckersss

..And yes this is somewhat based on actual conversations I've had with my mother lmaooo

(TW depression and verbal abuse)

Sighing for the tenth time today, Candace lazily trudged down the stairs with whatever energy hadn't been drained from her body. The physically and mentally exhausted teen had been called downstairs by her mother, who was no doubt furious at her for some reason judging by the tone she used a moment ago. Candace had no idea what hell awaited her, but she honestly couldn't care less. She had trouble caring about anything these days. Especially her appearance. She was still wearing the same hoodie and sweatpants from three days ago.

As she entered the kitchen, she noticed her mother holding a piece of paper, which was no doubt a report card. Oh great, it's a school-related lecture. Candace thought wearily, already rolling her eyes at what she predicted her mom was going to say. She was well aware of how bad her grades were, she didn't need to be reminded of it by every adult affiliated with her.

Linda set the report card on the counter so the teen could see it. "Can you explain why you have F's in almost every class?" She asked. But Candace didn't answer, just gave a small shrug in response. "I knew you were struggling this senior year, but this is just ridiculous. If you would just use your brain for once, maybe this wouldn't be such a problem."

Candace's eye twitched at her mother's choice of words. Use my brain for once? Says the woman who never fucking turns around to see giant robots in her backyard. She internally retorted. But she kept her mouth shut, since saying that out loud would have serious consequences.

"We've talked about this for years, Candace." Linda continued, taking a few steps closer to her. "You've got to put in more effort than this, is it really that hard to just focus on your work? I mean, seriously, how do you fail an open-note quiz?"

The teen lowered her gaze, avoiding eye contact at all costs. Not only did she not have any explanation as to why she was failing, but she was growing uncomfortable with the tone her mother was using—a tone she was familiar with, but it was still unsettling. And unbeknownst to her, she wasn't the only one hearing it.

Upon not getting any verbal responses so far, Linda asked, "Well? Are you gonna say anything?"

Candace sighed, shrugging yet again. "What do you want me to say, Mom?"

"What's been going on with you lately?" Her mother asked, "You won't eat, you never leave your room, you barely even talk to us. It's like you're a completely different person, Candace."

Like you care. She thought bitterly, hiding her hands in the pocket of her hoodie. Once again, she didn't really know what to say. She couldn't tell her mom what was actually going on, she wouldn't believe her—she never did. But she couldn't just say silent. "I don't know, Mom. I just don't feel well."

Technically that wasn't a lie. Considering she was starving and dehydrated, her health was declining drastically and she was suffering from it. Why she had done this to herself was a reason she didn't want to admit to.

"Well, you need to get over yourself." Linda said, shaking her head. "How do you expect to get anything done when all you do is lie around all day? You need to get off your butt and actually put effort into things, maybe then you'd feel better."

Candace frowned, lowering her head. Why would she expect her mother to feel sympathy for her? "I'm sorry, Mom." She murmured, "I just don't feel like doing anything anymore."