7: The West End House

Start from the beginning

Michael kisses my knuckles and stands. "I think I'm going to sneak out. I'm needed at the restaurant later."

I smile meekly, memories of helping him at his father's restaurant, The West End House, rising to the surface. "Okay. See you."

I fell back to sleep and didn't get up again until that night. The house was quiet so I snuck downstairs and raided the fridge, ate whatever leftovers I could get my hands on and then went back to bed.

I didn't see Michael again for a few days. It didn't occur to me to swap cell numbers as we were swapping spit. So when my family began bickering about where to go for dinner one evening, I blurted out "The West End House" in a deep voice and glanced at Carl as everyone looked around to see who had made the suggestion. Carl just shrugged once all eyes were on him.

"Hmm. Yes, it's been a while since we've been there. And it would be nice to catch up with Adele," my grandmother thought to herself out loud.

"Mother, you just spoke to her this afternoon," Mom laughed.

Once we are all seated at The West End House by Adele, who is the hostess for the evening, Rae and I next to each other somehow, it became apparent to me that she had the same agenda I did; seek out Michael. Carl droned on and on, oblivious to his future bride's lack of attention.

The swinging door to the kitchen opened and swung back and forth as a busboy made his rounds clearing off tables. Each time the door opened, I scanned the kitchen for Michael. He was there, helping prepare the food. The second I saw him, my stomach did a flip and my heart began to beat as if I were running in a marathon yet at the same time, I felt every part of me freeze. Rae needs to forget Michael. Maybe I'm being a bitch but I have a bit of a claim on him, I would say. Plus she is engaged to be married! Back off, whore, he's mine now! Whoa, Frankie. Simmer down...

Before Rae could spot Michael, I decided to take advantage of her weakness: focus all attention on her, put her in the spotlight.

"Have you guys settled on a date yet? For the wedding?" I place a gentle hand atop hers on the table and pull away once she finally looks my way.

"Hmm? Oh. Well, not quite yet." Rae pulls out a compact mirror from her purse and pats her lip delicately with her pinky.

Carl joins in. "I'm shooting for no later than April so we can plan a honeymoon for the summer months in Barbados. Maybe, oh Rae! Maybe we could do a destination wedding there!"

"Oh wow! That sounds wonderful!" I may have put a bit too much enthusiasm into my words. "Mom, did you hear? Barbados!" My plan was working. The family all began discussing wedding ideas and Rae couldn't help but be the center of attention. It's what she does best.

I slip away easily, no one batting an eye in my direction. I press my palms to the swinging door of the kitchen and push carefully. Michael is in the zone, gently barking orders. And it's sexy. He's wearing a nice white dress shirt with a black tie and black slacks. A well-worn apron protects his clothing in case he needs to make appearances in the dining area. No one notices me enter the kitchen. I lean against the tile wall next to the swinging door and just watch with interest in how Michael easily works around the kitchen.

"I need the artichokes, please! Then this order needs to get to table twelve immediately." Michael slides a plate of seared beef across the counter to another chef who carefully piles on the artichoke and hands the plate off to a server. There's an easy ebb and flow, much like a choreographed dance. The server walks past and spots me.

"Sorry, ma'am, did you need help?" He stops in his tracks and his question raises everyone else's eyes to me.

"Oh, sorry, no. I didn't mean to interrupt, I was just looking for Michael..." Michael is bent over another plate arranging a fancy orange glaze over pork when he looks up and smiles. "You, I was looking for you," I smile back at him.