11: Desktop Tango

"What, he can kiss Jane at midnight but I can't get a kiss at all?!" I'm more than annoyed right now.

"No, Frankie, I told him we made out. After midnight."

I punch Emerson in the shoulder. "You and your big mouth!"

"You weren't complaining last night," he rubs his shoulder where I hit him.

I glare at him. "Stop that."

"Why didn't you say anything? I thought everything was cleared up?"

I groan and stomp my foot. I know I'm acting childish but so is Michael, running away from conflict like that. "I would have told him eventually. Or, I don't know, maybe it is none of his business anyway. Fuck. Is he waiting for you?"

Emerson nods, "Yeah. Sorry Frankie. I really am. I'm gonna go catch up with him."

"Sure. See you later."

"Do you want me to wait for you?"

"No, go ahead. Happy New Year."

He leaves the room and I begin to cry. I sniffle as I shove my toiletries into my bag. Why wouldn't Michael give me the opportunity to explain? How would he expect me to feel seeing him kiss the long lost love of his life? And in his very own words, he has no claim over me! He's being a complete ass-wipe.

I defiantly brush my tears away and take a deep breath. I snatch up my bag and my dress and decide to wait for Rae and Carl in the lobby.

*****

Later that evening, I convinced Carl to let me borrow his rental car. He made me promise Raegan wouldn't find out. I didn't want to leave tomorrow without saying goodbye to one of my best friends.

I drove to The West End House feeling confident and in charge. I would storm in there and demand he listen to me. Because I can't bare the thought of Michael hating me. My confidence wavered as soon as I stepped foot in the restaurant. The hostess tonight is a gorgeous young woman with raven black hair braided loosely to the side. I begin to wonder if she's kissed Michael too.

I ask her if Michael is in and she gives me a strange look before excusing herself to find him. I take a look around as I slip out of my coat and see there's a nice sized crowd tonight. It seems most patrons are enjoying coffee and dessert since it's nearing closing time.

Michael emerges from the kitchen, the hostess trailing behind him.

"Hi," he says. That's it. Void of all emotion.

"Hi. Can we talk?"

He glances down at his watch and then turns to the hostess. "Go ahead and close up as soon as the last customer leaves, then you can go home."

She gives him a polite smile and nods.

Next Michael faces me again. "Follow me to the office."

I feel like a scolded school girl being sent to the principal. I follow behind him, snaking through the tables of the dining room, passing the kitchen, and down the hallway. He unlocks the office door and holds it open for me.

"What can I do for you?" He asks as he closes the door for privacy.

"Michael, stop. You know why I'm here. Can I please explain?"

He circles around me and the desk, taking a seat and leans back, hands behind his head, legs extended and crossed at the ankles. I follow his lead and seat myself in front of his desk after placing my coat on the coat rack by the door.