Chapter 1

Ciara ran home. She had to get home before her mom left so she could show her mom her report card. Her mom worked three jobs to support her four kids. Ciara being the oldest had the most responsibility. Her younger siblings depended on her to feed them and to be the mom when their mom wasn't there.

Ciara reached her apartment complex and ran up the stairs. She got her key out of her pocket and unlocked the door.

"Ma?" She called walking into the apartment and locking the door behind her. Nobody answered. She sighed and walked into the kitchen. She pulled the note of the fridge.

Ciara-

Sorry honey. I had to work early. Look after your siblings. There's a snack for y'all and dinner in the fridge. Be sure to feed them.

Love, Mom

"Like always" Ciara murmured. Her mother originally had two jobs but because Ciara was supposed to be going to collage next year she had picked up another job at McDonald's. No more Jordan's for her.

She had about twenty minutes before she would have to go pick up her her sisters and her brother.

She got her phone out of her pocket and checked her text messages. Her best friend Star had texted her.

Star: Did u do the math hw

Ciara laughed. Star was her best friend and while Ciara was good at math and every other subject Star sucked. She was failing three classes and they had barely began their second semester.

She texted her back.

Ciara: lol yea ill give it 2 u tomorrow

She grabbed the remote and turned on Pretty Little Liars. She had taped the show because she never had time to watch it. That was just how life was.

Soon she was way into the show and didn't notice that she was five minutes late. She looked at the clock and her eyes widened.

"Oh my Gosh!" She shouted and turned off the TV. She got her keyes and ran out the door. Not bothering to lock it. She ran so fast to their bus stop so fast you would've thought she was a track star. She reached the stop just as her siblings: Katy, Matt, and Trinity got off. She breathed hard and long and tried to catch her breath. She bought them in a hug.

"Oh gosh" she said. They all looked at her like she was crazy and hugged her back. Soon they reached their house.

"Ciara!!!" Katy yelled in her loud kindergarten voice.

"Katy. I am right here. You do not need to yell." Ciara said in a stern voice.

Katy put on a pouty face.

Ciara rolled her eyes and walked inside her apartment. She gasped. It was messed up! The couch was torn to bits, the stuffing all over the floor. The rug flipped over. The table broken. Ciara ran to her mother's room abandoning her siblings. She threw open her mother's closet and looked for the locked briefcase on the closet shelf. It was still there. She got the key from under her mom's dresser. She got it and unlocked the case. All the money for her college fund was still there. And the sad part was that none her mom's rent money was.