Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

"Yes." Was all she could say in response to his question, clearly confused.

"So, you must be aware of how it works. In sleepwalking, we have generally observed that a person seems to be unconscious whilst walking; he is unable to comprehend the reality of the situation that he is walking in the reality, but, is mentally, stuck in some dream and is asleep. Now, one would try to cease his movements, they would try to stop the person from possibly getting hurt but if his situation is concurring and has been weakened due to lack of care and understanding, it wouldn't affect him, unfortunately, for you see, the mind works in complex ways, Mrs Anderson and the person would simply become habitual to this routine, despite being oblivious to his actions." Arthur summarised, as he looked at Emmett' brother, who seemed to be in deep thought.

"What does this has to do with our son?" Emmett's father questioned with unmasked anger, which was enough for Arthur to finally come to his revelation.

"Everything. I have only provided you with a simplified thesis on the diagnosis of the illness that your son has, Mr Anderson. In psychology, we call it the 'Delusional Disorder' or a 'Paranoid Disorder', a 'psychosis' in which a person cannot distinguish cohesively between what is real and what is but an imagination, a dream to be precise. As the name clearly suggests, the person experiences delusions, or in more lucid terms, unwavering beliefs in something that is non-existent or hallucinatory. People that have been diagnosed with this disorder experience what we call as non-bizarre delusions, or situations that are very realistic, such as being deceived, conspired against, poisoned, or loving from a distance that could be used as a misinterpretation of either perceptions or experiences. However, they are mostly derived from the depths of their dreams or are an exaggeration in reality, but Emmett's case is different, special is what I'd like to call it, mostly." Arthur revealed as he looked at Emmett's parents a bit sympathetically.

"I don't understand." He said in a soft voice, quite shaken from what Arthur could see and understand.

"Emmett, shows all the symptoms of the Delusional Disorder, Mr Anderson. It wouldn't be quite apparent to you when you'd lay your eyes upon him because people that have been diagnosed with this disorder, appear to be normal, just like you and me; they socialise and function just as well as anyone except for the subject of their delusions, they do not behave uncharacteristically from their usual manner. But Emmett has shown some interesting signs for the fact that he has become so preoccupied with his delusions to realise and feel his basic human needs, such as hunger, thirst, and whatnot, which separates him. I was quite bewildered to see this at first. To be honest with you, I haven't ever encountered such a patient in all my twenty years of occupation." He shook his head in disbelief.

"What do you mean? Is it..is it rare?" Emmett's mother stuttered out, eyes brimming with unshed tears.

"Precisely my point, Mrs Anderson. Delusional Disorder is pretty rare and it is not suitable for an eighteen-year-old to be diagnosed with." Arthur explained, pensively.

"How is this possible?" She asked herself, choking back on a sob as she eyed him.

"It was difficult for me to evaluate, this at first, Mrs Anderson. Because, normally, delusions are caused as result from another psychotic disorder or disorders but in itself, the cause is quite unknown. But from what I have learned and enquired about, it could be passed down through genes or biological means but seemingly, it doesn't seem to be the predominant cause for Emmett's disorder. So, after analysing Emmett, I have realised that this was caused by a psychological factor, a traumatic experience in some way could have triggered this, and Emmett also has a medical history of depression from what you have informed me, so it can be a probability. " Arthur mulled over, as he referred to his notes.

"Yes, it was because of his Nana, he had lost her at the age of thirteen and he was greatly affected by her death, he was...he mourned her loss for many years and we thought that he'd..." Emmett's mother broke down, hysterically and Arthur could only reciprocate a nod in response.

"I understand, Mrs Anderson. And death essentially could be a trigger for this but I am still unsure if it is, the cause for this or not." He offered her a glass of water, whilst analysing the silent figure of Emmett's brother.

"Can he- Can he be treated, Doctor?" Emmett's father asked after some time, with indecipherable eyes.

Arthur, sympathetically, observed them; sensitive situations like these were the cause for his consternation and justified apprehension. He was uncertain and sentiently sceptical for the answer that he knew was suspiciously unimaginable, a feat insurmountable if somehow achieved, in his medical career at least. He, haltingly, searched for comprehensible syllables to word his thoughts, but instead, was faced with extreme doubt and indecisiveness that dubiously, made him uneasy, especially under their heated, nerve-wracking, stares.

"This is preposterous." He fumed as he finally had enough of his silence.

"Tom!" She called out, horrified at his outburst.

"No, Mum. He seems to be clueless, Emmett is perfectly fine, but he has spun such lies that would surely put us in this state of dilemma. He is conniving, Dad, can't you see it? I just don't believe him, he is not worthy of our trust." Thomas finalised, pointedly glaring at an astounded Arthur.

"I apologise for my-" Arthur started before he was interrupted.

"Shut up! I do not want to listen to you and your bloody theories, I have had it. Even if my brother is delusional, I'd make sure to take him to a better facility, get him treated under the supervision of a better doctor than a stalker, Mr Campbell." Thomas shook his head, too focussed on his thoughts to hear anything.

"Tom-" She tried again.

"I have had enough!" He declared firmly as he burst out of the door, too outraged at the situation and himself to comprehend the severity of this stipulation.

"I sincerely apologise for his behaviour, he is just saddened to hear that his little brother is...unwell." She apologised whilst wiping off her tears.

"I perfectly understand, Mrs Anderson and I would like to apologise for hesitating before, it is not what the doctors tend to do, but I, I do not see Emmett as a patient, trust me. I am not lying to you about his condition, he really needs my help, yet I need your support and trust first ." Arthur spoke softly, feeling vulnerable and a bit hesitant, as he observed his notes with an innermost dejection.

"We trust you, Doctor. It is because of you that we were able to find Emmett in the first place, but we need to know if he can be saved, can he be saved?" They were desperate to know, making him sigh because he wasn't so sure if he could tell them yet.

Arthur glanced at them, taking in their rather forlorn features frenzied over the hammering question of their son's survival. He hesitated, calculatingly contemplating and weighing his words before nodding to himself in what seemed to be a momentary consolation, finally edging towards the only epiphany that would, in turn, unearth everything else that he had only kept to himself, up until now. 

                                                                   ↯↯↯↯↯↯↯↯↯↯↯↯↯