Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

"As you can see, I am not dead. Nor am I old."

"You're ancient."

"If I'm ancient, what does that make you?"

"Attractive, you said so yourself." I pointed out. Edward twitched and heat flared in his cheeks, his blue eyes sharpening like icicles as he dropped his arms to his sides. He looked like he was done trying to be witty as he took a step forward.

"And you even brought that miserable brat with you too. Slows you down, doesn't he?" Edward sneered, curling his lip back from his fangs. Newell jumped at the insult first and hissed, stepping up beside me to bare his fangs.

"You were supposed to be dead," He snarled, "I saw you. You weren't blinking or moving or breathing at all." Edward smirked, straightening up in pride as he tilted his head up to look down his nose at his son.

"Oh, please. You only managed to kill your mother. I already knew you were planning to kill us. You're not as sneaky as you think, brat. I faked my death just as easily as you killed your useless mother." He retorted. I frowned and looked at Newell, who 'tsked'.

"You're the idiot who married the useless mother, prick. But whatever, I'll get the job done right this time." Newell promised, taking a threatening step forward. Edward narrowed his eyes and moved quickly, reaching into his pocket and whipping out a gun, pointing it right at Newell, who hardly looked concerned.

"A gun? Really?" Newell demanded. Edward smirked.

"One of the few nifty human projects. Mind you, you're more at risk than Vladimir is. He could easily handle ten bullets, but what about you? You're running low on blood, and it doesn't help that you're the size of a toddler." He added. Newell's cheeks pinkened instantly. I saw a faint waver at the insult. It didn't matter how tough Newell made himself out to be. Having your own parent mock you was crippling. I snapped my eyes at Edward and the gun exploded in his hand.

Edward shouted in pain, stumbling back until he hit the car, shaking out his burnt hand vigorously before glaring at me.

"Funny you should protect your enemy, Vladimir. He's the ingrate that destroyed your lover's life, isn't he?" He seethed. I looked at Newell, who snapped his head to glare at me as well. Though Edward was right, Alexander had still spared Newell. Alexander forgave him, and if he forgave him, I forced myself to as well. I turned back to Edward.

"I really want to rip your limbs off and stuff them down your throat," I spoke honestly, making Edward stiffen hatefully, baring his fangs, "But that's not my job. You'll die today, Edward Calhoun Drakon, but you will die by the hand of the true heir to the Drakon Clan." Newell looked surprised at how I addressed him, but he quickly recovered as he looked at Edward, who fumed.

"Fuck you both," Edward shrieked, losing his cool as he threw his arms down by his sides, "If I die, I'm taking you both with me, do you hear me?! I'll be back! I'll find a way back and slaughter you both! Starting with that sniveling, no good, dirty rotten--" Newell swung his arm out and Edward slammed into the windshield of the SUV. He gasped in pain, blood flying past his lips as the glass crunched inwards, shattering and stabbing. Edward panted hard, then quickly rolled off the side of the SUV just as Finneus came around to try and climb in, but Edward grabbed him by the shoulder and shoved him at Newell.

I remained where I was, watching as Newell swung his hand out and twisted it to the side, causing Finneus' head to snap to the side with a sickening crack. Finneus fell to the dirt, blood oozing from the gash his bones created in his throat. He writhed on the ground, but Edward ignored him as he threw open the car door, only to have Newell slam it shut right on his hand as he started to climb in.