three

"We may be set up for marriage, but that doesn't mean I'm willing to be your friend."

Chapter Three

  "I knew they were wealthy, but I didn't think they were this wealthy."

Daisy stood a few metres away from the front steps of Tewksbury's home, her eyes as wide as saucers and her mouth agape at the sight of it. Grant, who had offered to accompany her on her trip there, shared the same expression with his sister as they both admired the extravagant building before them.

The siblings had never been to such a grand place throughout the course of their lives. To them, it felt as if they had been transported into the many books of fairytales they used to read when they were little, the ones with gigantic castles and elegant princesses.

"If I marry into this family, we wouldn't have to think of money for a very long time," Daisy whispered.

  She hated herself for thinking that, yet she couldn't help but realise how truthful it was. Daisy's family had to constantly scavenge for scraps on the streets and do tedious work in order to put food on their plates every night. Tewksbury's family, on the other hand, seemed as though they wouldn't ever run out of money for generations. If she became apart of it, she could ease the burden off of hers and Grant's shoulders.

  "But it's not what you want. You and I both know that. You shouldn't have to sacrifice the little freedom you have just for the rewards," Grant said. He faced his sister, a sympathetic look plastered across his face. "I'll find a way to get you out of this, Daisy. I promise."

  Daisy nodded in response. She felt a lump forming in her throat and gulped, trying to swallow it down.

  The past few days have been agonising for her. Tewksbury had made her promise to keep their agreement a secret from anyone else, including Grant whom she trusted her whole life with. He knew her from the inside and out, just as she did him, and the mere fact that she couldn't involve her own brother in the plan was brutal torture. Whenever they had conversations, the secret rested at the tip of her tongue, tempting her to spill the beans.

  Yet she had to keep her mouth shut, for the fear of anyone finding out might ruin her chance of escaping this mess.

Before either of them could speak more, the front door swung open. Tewksbury's mother stood at the doorway, the corners of her lips turning up into a wide grin at the sight of the two teenagers. She donned an exquisite gown surely made from the finest of silks, her blonde hair was in a tight up-do, and expensive diamonds lined her neck and dangled from her ears. Daisy suddenly felt underdressed in her presence, although the white shift she had on was probably the fanciest clothing item she owned.

"Welcome!" the woman greeted cheerfully. "Come in, come in!" She stepped aside to let them pass through the entryway and they hesitantly stepped into the home. It was intimidating to be in such a place, especially when there were two guards on standby at the entrance.

They were led into a large area which Daisy guessed was their version of a living room. Tewksbury was sat on one of the many chairs and he stood up upon their arrival.

  "Hi," he said. Grant greeted him back, but Daisy just sent him a small smile. She tried to make it as genuine as possible to at least show some respect, but it still didn't quite reach her eyes. Truthfully, she couldn't be bothered at all.