Chapter 1

Hi everyone! This is a story a wrote a while ago and uploaded to another site. I thought I'd upload it to wattpad, so enjoy! Also: All rights go to Kiera Cass (who is amazing and my inspiration, always :) 

Chapter 1

I breathed heavily, looking at myself in the mirror. I couldn't believe everything that had happened within the last twenty-four hours. Only yesterday had I become engaged to the King of Illea. King. Only the other day had Maxon been a prince. The date of the coronation would have to be pushed up even further. The burden of that responsibility would weigh in even sooner. The girl I saw in front of me; the one with fiery hair and blue eyes was actually engaged to the King. I had won the Selection, and yet there felt like there was a lot missing. 

 Catching myself staring in the mirror for a little to long, I let my eyes wander over the intricate border and unfamiliar faded wallpaper. I was in the Queen's suite now. Last night, Maxon had insisted that I would stay in here, even though he hadn't officially announced the engagement. Some advisors knew, and I assumed the Elite knew as well; or at least expected. The announcement would be made today. I was suddenly nervous to have the whole country know. From now on I'd not only Maxon's wife, but also his queen. Maxon had snuck me in here this morning, after I woke up curled up by his side. He never wanted me to wander far, he said. 

Suddenly, the door creaked open. I saw in the mirror that it was Mary, one of my only maids left to wait on me. I shuttered at the thought that Anne was gone. She had left Lucy to be with Aspen, but she never deserved never having her love know how she felt. I was happy for Lucy and Aspen though. He couldn't have picked a better girl.

Everything about that day was bittersweet. I had Maxon, but we had lost so many people. I couldn't believe Queen Amberly was gone, and even King Clarkson. Without the guidance from both of his parents, I hoped that Maxon wouldn't crumble under the duties of ruling this country.

"Lady America" Mary said. She curtsied a little and came over to the vanity to start with my hair and make-up. 

"Call me America, Mary. Nothing's changed". I said, contradicting my own thoughts. I was still in shock that the person I was staring at in front of me was the same America that had almost lost everything a couple days ago. The same America that was there before my father's death. Everything in my world had changed; but there was one thing that I still felt the same about: Maxon. 

Mary deftly started picking up combs and brushes and started running them through my hair.

"America, much has changed, and you know that. Soon I'll be calling you queen". She smirked. 

I sighed. "Don't get too ahead of yourself." Mary giggled and kept working on my hair, twisting it into a low undo with subtle dark clips with accents on them. After about a half hour she was done with my hair and make up and I saw that she had kept my look pretty natural. Another maid came and brought in a bag with a dress in it. I forgot that most of my wardrobe was still in my old room, but probably by the end of the day the staff would fix up this room and move all of my belongings in here. I tried to avoid looking at the bed that used to be Amberly's. I know she would've been proud to see me in her place, but she would never be able to see her son truly happy again. I couldn't imagine not seeing my son's choice, and not being able to help him. 

Mary opened the dress bag to reveal a black day dress with an elegant lace back but simple style. I had forgotten that today we would have to mourn so many people who lost lives during the attack. I would also have to plan the King and Queen's funeral. Their deaths were announced yesterday by Gavril. I didn't watch the report, but knew that today was the day of mourning for the late King and Queen. Sometime next week would be the funeral.