Necro-Virus

My name is terra and I am one of the few survivors left after a horrible event that changed the world. An experimental medicine designed to stimulate growth in dead tissue was being transported to a test laboratory when the truck was run off the road. The crash caused the medicine to pour into a local water supply,luckily the water diluted the solution enough so that it did not effect the people.

But the trees that absorbed the water also absorbed the medicine,it killed the leaves and then the tree. All of the trees dying created a ton of leaves which the people burned,a big mistake on our part. The heat from the fire changed the molecules of the medicine and it became air born carried by the smoke,that's when the people started to change. At first it seemed great because people were healing faster and disease was being cured,but after a week everyone exposed began to change for the worse.

They were extremely aggressive and seemed to have rabies,the news reporters covered up the fact the medicine was the cause of this. After a month nearly half the population of my state was infected,the police were constantly called to disturbances resulting in a dwindling police force. All authorities were turned within a month and a half, what was now dubbed the "Necro Virus" had engulfed a third of the nation by two months. It's doesn't look like anything can stop the virus from spreading.

But there's a few of us who are trying our best to survive,our goal is to find someone who has the ability to make a cure or at least something to make the remaining people immune. I met some survivors scattered around my town and we banned together in Iowa,it was one of the places that was able to create strongholds,the towns being spread out kept the virus from spreading as fast.

Everyone in our group has abilities crucial to surviving, at 16 years old we have Tristan. A serious video gamer who knows a few things about zombies,he helps us create effective weapons.

Then there's James, Tristan's 18 year old brother,he was a demolition derby champ,you name it he can drive it.

Mark is 37 and he is our butcher,he can get the best meat out of anything from chickens to cows.

At 46 years young Brent is our mechanic,he can fix just about anything.

Caleb is 21,he's our carpenter.

Ashley is 18 and she's a computer genius,also is an expert on zombies.

Our gardener/nurse is Mary,she's the oldest of us at 64.

Then we have our weapons expert Nicolas at 19 years old,he is unrivaled in weaponry.

I am 18 and I provide for the animals we use for food,I also cook and try to keep peace between all of us.

Every two weeks we go look for supplies,such as water,medical kits,food and on occasion any survivors in need of help.

------------------------------

"Terra I think we need to go on a food run" Tristan says tossing out an empty box of pop tarts.

"But it's only been a week,how are we out of food already?"I ask

"remember we didn't collect as much food last time after Justin was attacked" James reminds us,that day flashes through my mind.

It was a nice day,we had just picked up a large amount of food from a local store. We were heading back to the truck and everything seemed to be going well. then Justin decided it was safe enough to get a few extra things,while the rest of us loaded the truck Justin went back in the store alone. It was the last mistake he ever made,about five minutes later we heard screams coming from the store. He had been surrounded by zombies and he didn't have any weapons on him,three of the others ran in to help but it was too late. Our friend was dead and we were next,as we ran back to the truck we found it surrounded. It was a struggle to get into the truck and in our hast to get out of there we knocked a crate of food on the road.What we saw that day has haunted all of us,the picture of Justin's mangled body burned into our brains as constant reminder to stay alert.

"Alright James,Nicolas and mark go out the west tunnel. If memory serves there should be a gas station across the road." Mary says taking out one of our maps.

"Great relying on an old woman's memory" James mumbles rolling his eyes.

"I may be old but I've lived here longer than you've been alive boy,I think I know this town"Mary retorts.

Chuckles from a few of us make James storm out of the room,with Mary's directions Nicolas,James and mark take some weapons and head out. Unknown to us a platoon of soldiers is losing a battle to hold back a wave of zombies. Just four blocks away James,mark and Nicolas are filling up their packs with food.

"Alright we got what we came for let's go"mark orders tossing a pack over his shoulder.

"Wait"Nicolas says,he listens intently his focus locked on the door of the station. He whispers "Hide".

Within seconds the doors fly open,two soldiers out of breath and one bleeding heavily stumble in. One barricades the doors before checking on his comrade. But the click of a gun draws his focus.

"Who are you" James asks.

"Easy, my name is John. I'm part of platoon 117"the soldier replies raising his hands showing he's no threat.

"Ah- John I'm not going to make it" the wounded soldier cringes as more blood seeps from his wounds.

"Please can any of you help" John asks desperately trying to stop his from from bleeding out.

Mark walks over and kneels beside the soldier who was currently going into shock,his body shaking from pain.

"He's too far gone"mark says before noticing an odd mark on the soldiers arm. Quickly standing up and backing away mark yells "he's been bitten!"

Immediately three guns are pointed in the direction of the dying man,all prepared to fire.

"No,no,no!" John slams his fist on the cold floor knowing his friend is beyond help.

"S-shoot....me" John snaps his attention to his friend "What" .

"Y-you heard me" the soldier replies his voice weakening "I'm not turning into monster John."

John looks to the three other men who have lowered their guns,they know it's not their place to end this mans life. With tears filling his eyes John grants his friends last wish and pulls the trigger.

"The shot will draw in the zombies"Nicolas says peering out a window.

"Are you bitten?"mark asks John.

"No.."John replies

"Then come with us,we have a place that's safe"James says knowing what mark was getting at.

John agrees and they carefully make their way back to the stronghold, inside John collapses.

"Poor guy,probably hasn't slept in days"James says as he and mark lift him up and lay him on a bed.

"We sent you for food not another person" Ashley says as she and I help Nicolas with the food.

"Well we couldn't just leave him out there" James replies.

"You did well guys" I say getting blankets for John.

"Thanks terra,is there any food ready?" Mark asks his stomach growling.

"Mary has some soup made up,you guys go eat." I answer. "The rest of us are going to bed. Tristan has night watch" I add before climbing in bed.