Something glistened underneath the moonlight. Ryker turned his head to the left and noticed Ava's necklace lying on the ground. He knew right away that it was hers because she was wearing this earlier this evening. On the necklace were fresh bloodstains that were more than likely hers.

Ryker knew that Ava's death would question his position as Alpha for a few of his pack members. They might not have said it out loud, but he knew that they were talking about it. However, among those few pack members they were a few that believed in him. He was new to his position and has no significant lineage that would support his position. So hold a seed of doubt was understandable.

Ryker was quiet as he observed the crime scene. His thoughts were everywhere. Calculating and running through every possibility that he could come up with. Their territory was in an elevated area. Border patrols guarded all entrances but nothing impenetrable, so he couldn't just drop that possibility.

Could it be...someone internally?

Ryker continued to mull over these options throughout the night. When he finally collapsed into bed, exhaustion ached his muscles and mind. His temples were pounding to where keeping his eyes open hurt. Ryker took a quick shower, dried himself off quick, but didn't bother putting on any clothing. Collapsing into bed, naked and weary. He placed one arm over his head and exhaled.

Stressed and desolation accompanied him tonight. He closed his eyes, but images of Ava's dead body lingered in his mind. It acted like a demon that tortured him in the night. It was unsolved. No traces or scent. The destruction of the crime scene only made it harder to locate where the perpetrator disappeared to.

Now, even though weariness settled into his very bones, he couldn't stop his mind from running. The wheels were turning. Pulling the thin black silk cover over his lower body, he rolled over to his side and stared into the dark corner.

After a few minutes, he heard movement outside. The sound of leaves crunching and branches snapping underneath footsteps. Whoever it was, wasn't very sharp on keeping quiet or was a complete novice in committing crimes. The hair on his arms rose. His wolf was on full alert.

Unmoved by his nakedness, he stood up from his bed. Walked out into the hallway slowly. His ears raised and listening. Once he reached the stair, he walked down the one flight stairs to his main level floor. His kitchen to the left and behind the stairs and a large sitting area to his right. Right next to the living room was the dining area that had a long rectangular table and several chairs. Honestly, Ryker bought it because it looked nice, but he never once sat down on the table to eat.

A flicker of a shadow on his front left window caught his attention. His eyes lifting to see it fly across and to the front door. Ryker exited the backdoor of his home gradually. Walking out of his home, Ryker hoped to catch the culprit before he could manage to break into his home.

He followed the noisey footsteps. When he near enough, he could see the shoulder hiding behind a post but it was literally pitch dark outside that even with his human eyes it was a little hard to see who it was. Instantly, he grabbed onto the culprit, wrapped one arm around his neck in a chokehold.

"Who are you?" Ryker questioned deathly low just as the culprit released a high-pitched scream.

He realized immediately that the person he was holding was not a man. More importantly, she was not a culprit.

"Fuck! Mary, I almost killed you," Ryker swore angrily and loosening his grip.

"Do you always sneak up on people and put them in chokeholds?" she accused him.

As soon as he released her, she spun around to give him an indigent glare.

"To be fair, you were creeping around my house," Ryker pointed out with a shrug.