Chapter Five: Trust

Beginne am Anfang

Watching Roswaal and Emilia talk about the Royal Candidacy, he takes a sip of the soup in front of him...

...And wonders why it doesn't taste nearly as good as before.

"So, gunning for the freeloader lifestyle, huh?" Puck begins a conversation with Subaru, and his comment makes the boy bristle up.

"Hey, it's only for a while! If your attitude is because of me hugging Emilia-tan, I'm not apologizing!" Subaru retorts back, glaring at the spirit.

"Hmph. Not that it'd do much good anyway, you'd need a hundred 'Sorry's for me to consider forgiving you." Puck defended his own front, but Subaru ignores the cat to continue his own agenda.

Subaru's next mission was to find Beatrice, and ask her a question that was burning in the back of his head: Could the Witch's Scent be supressed, somehow.

If there was a way to snuff out the Scent, Subaru could have more time to talk to Rem, and hopefully gain her trust somehow...!

The spirit watches Subaru bounce from door to door, holding each handle, and... talk to himself?

"...Nah, too warm... Oh!" Subaru suddenly perks up, before grinning!

"Just right!" Subaru grabs the door handle, and opens it wide open! —

Behind the door reveals the forbidden library to him and Puck.

"...Wow." Puck blinks at the boy, "If I wasn't so annoyed with you, I'd call that impressive."

"Oh, spare me, you damn helicopter-parent." Subaru mutters under his breath, as he walks inside the room, looking for its Guardian.

"Hnng...!" He doesn't walk too far, noticing the Loli-Spirit trying to reach for a book outside her grasp, "I just... had it...!"

Subaru doesn't really think about it. He walks towards her and grabs the book for her, "Need a hand?"

"Hmph. It would've fallen into my hands either way —" Beatrice notices the elephant in the room, "—When did you get in the library, I wonder!?"

"That's a Subaru-Secret! Trademark, trademark." Subaru says the last sentence under his breath, before smiling, "I want to talk to you! Got a sec?"

"How unreasonable, I suppose! As if I have nothing better than to help—" Beatrice then notices his partner, floating next to Subaru, "Bubby!"

"Hey there, Betty." The cat waves at her, with affection in his voice, and floats downward to be groomed by the other spirit.

"You're as soft as always~!" Beatrice cuddles the neko, before passing a glance at Subaru, "As you can see, I'm pressed with more important matters."

"Hey! I practically brought Puck in here, doesn't that deserve some merit!?" Subaru cried out.

"What're you talking about? I came with you on my own." Puck says this like its fact, as his cheek is pressed next to Beatrice's.

Subaru glares at the cat who was keeping an eye on Subaru for what happened this morning, and makes a grin.

"Fine. Maybe I should go and visit Emilia? —"

Puck's reaction was instantaneous, as he breaks off of Beatrice with a certain vigor in his eyes —

"Oh no you don't! I got my eye... on... you..." Puck trails off as Subaru gives him a cocky 'I told you so.' look.