Beginnings

Korra never believed this day would come.

By leaving the tribe a few years ago, she did not expect to ever return as a full time citizen at all, let alone be announced as the official chief of the water tribe. She didn't see the tribe in her future other than perhaps a visit destination, and even when she decided she could have a life there, she never imagined she'd take on the role of the chief.

Not to mention, it's been years since the tribe has went to war, Korra wasn't even born yet the last time.

But, here she was, her face painted in the traditional markings of a chief and a warrior. It's been a while since the initial attack, a week maybe, and all this time they have been training away from the tribe itself. But on their last mission to steal supplies from the city, Asami heard soldiers saying that reinforcement was supposed to arrive soon, so they decided that it was time to strike.

The mission got a little held up, because Asami apperently wanted to do things the proper way, so they went to steal some traditional objects for the ceremony and the upcoming war, thus the face painting.

Korra also wanted to do things the proper way, but in a very different way than Asami's, that may or may not have involved a certain stone-carved neckless that was resting in her pocket.

But before that, she needed to focus on the ceremony and the speech she had planned. Her people needed motivation, and as a newly found leader, she needed to provide it.

So there she was, kneeled besides her mother, her gaze facing the ground, listening to her mother's wise words about her father and the tribe.  Around them, were many litted candles in many different colours and shapes, spreading a soft aroma in the nearby environment and keeping the place lit up. It was traditional to have the ceremony at night, with the moon as a witness. And given that attacking at night seemed like the wiser choice, the ceremony was done in the late afternoon, right after the sunset.

"... In the last few years, since Korra's departure, Tonaraq and I worked hard to make sure that if she were to ever return, she will be able to live her life here in any way that she wants, and we made changes accordingly. Another thing chief Tonaraq mentioned with every change that he made towards equality, is that he wished that a day will come when Korra replaces him and takes on the role of the chief, and though I wish he was here to see it, I no nobody would be prouder than him. Expect maybe myself." She raised her head to see Senna smiling at her, eyes glassy and glistening with tears. Korra didn't know whether it was tears of happiness or sadness, but she smiled right back. Fighting the urge to stand upright and hug her mother.

"The last few days had been a few of the hardest days in the tribes history, we lost many, we lost a leader, and Korra lost a father," her mother sighed, "yet she didn't let it stop her. She took charge, showed incredible leadership and combat skills, preparing us for the conflict that would unravel just after this humble ceremony. With her, and with your dedication, tomorrow we will celebrate at our home."

A round of applause accompanied the end of Senna's speech. It wasn't very loud, as it was agreed that loudness might attract Satorians their way, but it still filled Korra's heart with pride. She allowed herself to glance over to see Asami holding Ki, beaming. With her free hand, Asami blew a kiss her way. She grinned back, tempted to pretend to catch it, but given that the entire tribe was watching her, she gave up on that idea.

"Korra." Her mother said, her voice loud and official, making her raise her head to meet her mother's eyes. "Would you take the role of the chief, and vow to serve and protect your people, following the rules written down by the spirits themselves?"